Bergen / Rucksack / Pack what are the top 5?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
I have to admit that with a lot of the top names these day's all seem to be manufactured in China and they still demand top price. A couple of years back I purchased a Lowe alpine Saracen to replace my old one only to find it was made in China the quality of material was crap. I also purchased a light my fire, fire steel recently only to find they where 1cm shorter. Just think I'm getting fussy the older I get.

Johnboy, I just want to make one purchase and have the pack for the next 20 or so years. If I could find the ultimate pack then I would be happy, I guess I should have hung on to some of the packs i have owned. I have gone from packing all my kit in one pack then having different packs for different seasons. At times my pack has weighed in at 20 ~ 30 lbs and a lot heaver. As I'm moving around a lot I'm carrying all my kit in one bag, from sleeping kit, footwear, cutting tools etc. I know it seems silly carrying all your kit but I have not got anywhere to store my kit long term so it goes almost every where with me, within reason.

Thanks

Frogo

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Here's my old vc, still going strong!
3-7.jpg

2-10.jpg

1-15.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks again for all the input.

So I have my 5 to choose from.

Berghaus Vulcan.

Karrimor Sabre.

Wolverine.

kifaru.

Lowe Alpine.

As I have said I really need a pack that has the capability of comfort, durability, quality and reliability.

Frogo

Strangely enough those top two are the ones I use most - both are excellent across your list of needs.
If weight is not a big issue and price is I would plump for a used Vulcan from Endicotts (no conection etc) - storming kit and great service!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have to admit that with a lot of the top names these day's all seem to be manufactured in China and they still demand top price. A couple of years back I purchased a Lowe alpine Saracen to replace my old one only to find it was made in China the quality of material was crap. I also purchased a light my fire, fire steel recently only to find they where 1cm shorter. Just think I'm getting fussy the older I get.

Johnboy, I just want to make one purchase and have the pack for the next 20 or so years. If I could find the ultimate pack then I would be happy, I guess I should have hung on to some of the packs i have owned. I have gone from packing all my kit in one pack then having different packs for different seasons. At times my pack has weighed in at 20 ~ 30 lbs and a lot heaver. As I'm moving around a lot I'm carrying all my kit in one bag, from sleeping kit, footwear, cutting tools etc. I know it seems silly carrying all your kit but I have not got anywhere to store my kit long term so it goes almost every where with me, within reason.

Thanks

Frogo

Most stuff seems to be made in China these days...

Anyhow... The Quality on the Vulcan of Chinese manufacture is as good as it was on my UK made Berghaus stuff.

Basically quality out of Chinese factories comes down to:

1. Picking the right factory to start with
2. controlling your manufacturing spec tightly
3. Having really good QC and QA processes.

I'd reccomend you try out a Vulcan...

HTH

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Here's my old vc, still going strong!
3-7.jpg

2-10.jpg

1-15.jpg

IMHO the Vector was the example for the US FPLIF (Field Pack Large Internal Frame), part of the modernisation program around 1990 (together with teh ITLBV webbing). IIRC the original design was from Lowe.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Strangely enough those top two are the ones I use most - both are excellent across your list of needs.
If weight is not a big issue and price is I would plump for a used Vulcan from Endicotts (no conection etc) - storming kit and great service!

Hi John,

Have you got a link, I'm unable to find them on there site.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd avoid SAS/Para Bergens, GS bergens, and Alice packs. All are an uncomfortable nightmare...

HTH

John

Too true. Never understood the fascination with all things military/SF. Had to wear them for years and couldn't wait to replace them with something more comfortable and practical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE