Bergans of Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does anyone know anything about this outfit? I am interested in one of their wool-based jackets (Nittedal) and was wondering where I could get hold of one online and if anyone has any experience - good or bad - of their gear.

Many thanks for your help.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Well, that's where the name Bergan comes from (army pack). Been sound a while. Don't know about current stuff though.

krung

May 4, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Norwegians seem to enjoy it and they hold it in great esteem. I have only a large Bergan myself and i am pleased with it - good details and good choice of materials. Here in Denmark mostly scouts use it because the official store sells it, but other store chains don't. I think Fjällräven is more popular here in Denmark, but I suspect Bergans of Norway is more popular in Norway. I know of Norwegians who regard the Bergan brand higher than for instance Arc'teryx - perhaps because it is gear especially for the Norwegian weather. Thier jacket and trouser combinations are to die for.

Long story short: I think you'll be satisfied, but if you're into brands and want something your mates will recognise, you can find something of similar quality elsewhere.

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
Bergans has been around since 1908, when inventor Ole F. Bergan designed the first integrated frame backpack. The Norwegian army placed a large order in 1913, while polar explorers Roald Amundsen and Lincoln Ellsworth used Bergans packs on their expeditions. Soon the system was world-famous.

In Norway the brand (probably) holds the same position as Fjällräven does in Sweden. Some years ago Bergans was regarded as a bit old-fashioned (albeit sturdy), and a cheaper alternative to Norrøna. This changed after Bergans became the main sponsor of the reality show "71° North" (71° nord). Today the garments are manufactured in the Far East, but the designs are developed in Norway.

History

Personally, I think their products are very good. They are well-designed and tough. But, as mentioned in an earlier post, I might be influenced by the strong position the brand holds here historically.

It seems they are not represented in the UK. Stores abroad
Maybe http://www.amfibi.no/?menuid=1100217 can help you? I requested a jacket from the Bergans catalogue which was not in their store, and they ordered it from Bergans directly, without any extra charge.

I have no connection to the corporations mentioned, just a happy customer.

Last edited:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Good kit by reputation and endorsement - Lars Monsen has used it and reckon he's the real deal :) - which I've tried to chase down before but no UK distribution. Best bet may be a retailer with strong links to Scandinavia like Nordic Outdoor or Tamarack? Or else Bergans as a brand is popular in Germany witness the amount of retailers listed. Most on-line sellers there will speak English and offer a good European service. I've used globetrotter.de a couple of times. I did find this link which seems to be good. The store lists a huge amount of their gear with no evident stock limitations so I expect they get it in direct on order. Looks pukka anyway? http://www.activesports.de/Produktsuche/Bergans-Nittedal-Flameresistant-Jacket.html. But it ranks in Google search so you may have been there already? No connections, etc...

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thanks to one and all for your help. Don't quite know how to approach this one but am trying Tamarack to see if they can't order one up for me. It seems strange that, after all the weeks of 71 degrees North (a programme of dubious value...), virtually no-one has thought of trying the brand over here. Perhaps the outdoor market place as a whole has reached saturation point and there's not room for any more producers. Anyway, my quest for a Nittedal jacket continues...

Jun 18, 2010
Near York
www.route62.eu seem to have a good selection of Bergans and other scandinavian brands with prices and delivery in Euros. I like the look of their Morgedal anorak, which I think someone else has reviewed elsewhere. I've just bought a german flecktarn smock for £14 though, and it'll take me ages to wear that out!

Jun 18, 2010
Near York
By the way, U.S. company L.L. Bean (llbean.com) do what seem to be reasonable wool jackets in the Maine Guide range - a thinsulate and wool Parka in a range of colours for $127, shirt-jacs from $99, but obviously you'd need to figure out whether tax and shipping was worthwhile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE