Ben Orford knives...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
I've heard a lot about Ben Orford as a maker and I hear he makes some very good knives. I've just ordered a particularly tasty one to try out...(a costly experiment but one I'm sure I won't regret!)....just wondered if anyone else had any experience of them...?

W

waldorf

Great knives and workmanship. Good choice you will not be disappointed.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I own an Orford folder.Bought it a couple of years ago at a crafts show.Nicely made i reckon.Its just a simple friction folder with a fancy curl, very sharp and shiney.
Nice bloke to talk to as well!Done a roaring trade that day iirc...

*facepalm* I read this as ORD knives, not Orford.Doh!!Still, ive seen them and they are top notch!

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ben is an excellent maker at the top of his game and a thoroughly nice bloke to deal with. I am absolutely certain that you will not be disappointed with his offering. Enjoy it!

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Ben makes some of the best knives and woodworking tools out there and Lois, his wife, does some equally stunning leatherwork. His spoon knives are the best I've used and a better bloke to deal with you won't find. Additonally, he is one hell of a green wood worker in his own right. There's nothing like somebody who uses tools everyday when it comes to making them.

Graeme :D

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Additonally, he is one hell of a green wood worker in his own right. There's nothing like somebody who uses tools everyday when it comes to making them.

Graeme :D

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Since rather foolishly selling my Alan Wood Woodie some years back I was looking for something to rival it - and although I've never handled Ben's knives myself I got the impression from looking that his workmanship would rival, if not, surpass Alan's own.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Rival ? sure, some of them .. Surpass ? not in my opinion, not yet !
I have had the good fortune to handle many of Bens Knives and Alans ( I help out at the Blade Show in Bristol, for the yast 3 years )
The feel, fit and finish of both gents work is top notch, the balance and weight distribution of some of Alans tapered tang specials is, however, out of this world!
25 years Alan has been at it ( I was lucky enough to have Alan build me one of his limited edition ( 25 made, to match the years he has been in the game ! ) Pioneers in A2.
Ben and Lois are very, very nice folk , come and see them both ( and Alan, also a nice bloke! ) at this years show!
My best.
Chris.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Since rather foolishly selling my Alan Wood Woodie some years back I was looking for something to rival it - and although I've never handled Ben's knives myself I got the impression from looking that his workmanship would rival, if not, surpass Alan's own.

I have knives from both makers, my recent Ben Orford knife has a tapered tang, (which ben will do on request). The quality in my opinion is equal between the two makers.
I will try to post some pics of both the knives when I get home from work

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
There are 2 knives left for sale on his website as we speak, i have been looking for the last 2 weeks or so trying to remember the difference between 'need' and 'want'
really fancying one of his Campcraft knives.
No connections etc.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Just chiming in to say that I'm a proud owner of a Orford Bushcrafter with an apple wood handle. My first custom made knife. Not only did he manage to get it to me while I was in South Korea, he also refunded me on some of the shipping!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have a good number of Bens tools here, i did a couple of reviews of them on my Blog, link below

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I've only ever seen one of his knives but it was at least as good as anything in that style produced by any other UK maker I have seen. Fit and finish was very tight, and if that is his general standard across the board I'm very impressed.

I had a sneaky peaky at his site yesterday and was tempted myself by the now sold Massur Birch Craftsman 3"

I wonder how many he sold this last day or so due to interest generated by this thread :D

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Pretty expensive, but I still beam when I fondle mine. Absolutely wonderful knife. The sheath is stunning as well. I need to get my hands on some new wood so I can get back to carving.. Oh, his spoon knives are great too. I've made a whole collection of teaspoons with mine and ended up using it for most of the carving (was holding it anyway, so might as well). Edge is still perfect after almost a dozen spoons and two bowls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE