Bell tent questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Fabsil works great on all canvas tents, but it costs a lot.... Best way to apply is with a garden sprayer (pump up type)

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation, did a patrol tent Recently in the scout hut and ended up as high as a kite from the fumes even with the doors open...

For a cheaper option you can use Thompson's water seal diluted with water about 1:20 its designed for dampproofing mortar and is rot resistant, works a treat on our scout tents

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just got back from a week in my soulpad. The start of the week was exceptionally wet and windy, driving rain constantly for 2 days. The canvas of the tent got very wet, but not a single drop came through. If you touched the canvas from the inside, you could feel it was sodden and you'd get a bead of water on your finger, but it never dripped through and I go no puddles. So long as you didnt touch the walls, the inside was perfectly dry.

I didnt get many pictures, but this shows it near my Landy for scale....

lakes-001.jpg

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Thanks Martyn, that sounds very promising. Our current tent does the same when you touch the walls when its been pouring rain. How long does it take to dry our from completely sodden?

And a lovely spot you've got there too ;)

ATB
Ness :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
How long does it take to dry our from completely sodden?
It was bone dry after 2 days of no rain. The very occasional sunny spell, but mostly a mild breeze. I dont know how long it would take to dry in a garage if you packed it wet, fortunately, that hasn't happened to me yet. I would think at least a week in this weather.

And a lovely spot you've got there too ;)

ATB
Ness :)

Yeah, it's a stunning location, I could tell you where it is, but then I'd have to shoot you. :D.

A couple more of the tent...

lakes-002.jpg

lakes-003.jpg

Sorry, that's about all I have. I did intend to take more, but you know what it's like. :)

Last edited:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I have one of the these SoulPads made by the Bell Tent Company.

During the summer it takes just a few hours to dry hanging in my garden.

At this time of year I hang it in the garage (which is small) for a day or two and it dries fine.

They are made of the same material as the normal Bell tents and I have not had any leaks yet either.

Cheers

George

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
That looks like heaven Martyn.

Liam

Had a great week mate, great camping, great tent, stunning location, open fire cooking, lots of green laning and Cumbria in Autumn is beautiful. I'm shattered now though - in a good way. :D

Star of the show though, was an £11 splitting maul from Aldi that was just superb.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaha excellent.

I'm off out on Tuesday for the day with my son for a pre winter beat up on Rosebery estate up here.

We've a DD camping hammock, MTC tarp and a palatka poncho tipi to try out then home for tea and medals being local.

A day out and a catch up - simple pleasures, buy I'm looking forward to it.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE