Bell tent questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Wow Martyn, that write up was exactly what I had been looking for :You_Rock_

Plenty to think about, but it looks like a Bell tent is the way forward for us

Cheers
Ness ;)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wow Martyn, that write up was exactly what I had been looking for :You_Rock_

Plenty to think about, but it looks like a Bell tent is the way forward for us

Cheers
Ness ;)

Welcome Ness. One thing to consider that I haven't mentioned, is how difficult these tents are to manage and strike when they are wet. They don't let much water in, but they do get wet, which tripples the weight of an already very heavy tent. The 5m version being very heavy indeed. It will also need hanging out to dry as soon as you get it home so it doesn't rot and fall apart. That means a big, dry space is needed for several days. Not a deal breaker for me, but something to consider. Also, if you are going to use it with a woodburner, then you need to give over a pretty big space to the burner for safety - another reason to go for the 5m size. I'd think about the woodburner though, as Dave mentioned above they are a bit overkill for the UK. They are wonderfully romantic and good for drying wet clothes I suppose, but they take a lot of maintenance and consideration. I know it sounds obvious, but you cant just turn them on and off and you need to take them down every 2 or 3 days to clean the resin out of the flue or you'll have a problem. Too much faff for me - needed in the arctic, but here, I'm more than happy with the occasional blast from my clean, cheap, convenient 'gas fire' and hot water bottles will do a superb job of keeping you and your kids warm at night (you can re-use the water in em as often as you like).

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Here ya go Sean....http://www.outbackbarbecues.com/FreeRange/637/stove-top-heater-attachment.aspxSupposed to bang out about 2.5kw and I can well believe it. Most of the heat from an open burner just goes up as convection, but having a lump of metal on there, cause the heat to convert to radiation, which goes out in all directions, not just up. So instead of just heating the top of the tent above the stove, everything arround the stove gets warmed up. They are very good. You could probably bodge something together easily enough, they are like a double skinned mesh strainer - but they are cheap enough to buy. If you have the right type of grill for them to sit on, they lock in place with bayonet lugs. I cant do that with my stove, but they work fine just placed on top. It's literally like turning on a gas fire inside your tent - one is plenty tbh. Running 2 puts out 5kw which is about the same as a medium sized woodburning stove. I wouldn't want to run em for too long though, because of the carbon monoxide. Then there is the gas, it'd be pricey running em off small cannisters. Best off a bulk propane cylinder and I definitely would never run one on the top of a cannister mounted stove - it'd overheat the cannister and melt the seals - BANG and goodnight! Probably OK on something like an Optimus 111 though, or a Nova or similar. Pretty deadly in a small nylon tent I would think too - I would only consider running one inside a large, well ventilated jobbie - something you might put a woodstove into. Fine inside a teepee or belltent for short periods with the vents open.
ImageService.axd
We had one of those Chinese stove top heat drums in for testing in the Vitiation chamber a while ago... Man it produced some CO anything that is designed to directly impinge a flame and be run for a prolonged period is bad news in the CO production game....If your going to run a gas heater in a enclosed tent regardless of the perceived level of ventilation I'd advise getting an appliance with a ODS (oxygen depletion sensor) built in this will cause the appliance to stop burning if the combustion atmosphere gets too corrupted.....all th other kit looks really good... Does that propane stove run on direct cylinder pressure or is the supply regulated Martyn??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those flat stove top heat drums really do kick out the heat though :)

I find mine really useful for ten minute bursts of heat that drives off the chill damp in my tent. It's all very well it being waterproofed outer, but the inner tent gets damp with condensation and body heat alone isn't enough to air it out.

I do leave it in good ventilation though and it's always used in the outer porch area, but it really works well. It doesn't work any better than the stove does though in the cold.

Martyn's set up is a lot better, but I don't drive a landrover so I'm limited in the gas I can carry.

cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
We had one of those Chinese stove top heat drums in for testing in the Vitiation chamber a while ago... Man it produced some CO anything that is designed to directly impinge a flame and be run for a prolonged period is bad news in the CO production game....If your going to run a gas heater in a enclosed tent regardless of the perceived level of ventilation I'd advise getting an appliance with a ODS (oxygen depletion sensor) built in this will cause the appliance to stop burning if the combustion atmosphere gets too corrupted.....all th other kit looks really good... Does that propane stove run on direct cylinder pressure or is the supply regulated Martyn??

Stove is low pressure and runs with a normal low pressure regulator on the bottle John.

Re the CO - you are absolutely right. To be honest, I dont like anything left burning in my tent, whether a wood stove, heat pal or whatever. But I am concious about the CO from these continually which is why I never run em for more than 30 minutes and never ever consider lying down while they are on. Caveat Castra!

I got one of the Chinese things for comparison, I'm sure the CO levels are probably similar, but the performace of the other variety is better. I think the double skin makes a difference....

heater006.jpg

heater004.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the one I had for my wee flat stoves was the Chinese one :dunno: but it looks the same as the one you show lit, Martyn.
It locks on securely using the lugs at the base.

It really does give out the heat, just the CO2 issue :sigh:

atb,
M

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
Loved the reply's so far.

Done some research into the Dutch company and they won't even delivery to the UK or Ireland. Seems belltent have managed to secure the rights to selling them at a heavily inflated price which boils my blood.

We could have relatives in Germany buy one and ship it over to us cheaper than buying from belltent uk but I have looked at soulpad and they are selling a 5m bell tent deluxe (sewn in ground sheet) for £350 with free delivery. This is a great deal as we would have been about £300 to buy and ship one from Germany which would only be a 4 meter one.

Martyn I love your heating option, would you rekcon it could be used inside your average tent ?

I have always been told that gas increases the amount of condensation in a tent but I think it would be a great way of keeping warm as we want to camp in winter as well.

A bell tent deffinetly looks like the way forward for us as our next tent and I am looking forward to trying it out. I don't doubt once me and v-ness own one we will come up with a hundred new questions but the responce has been great thanks very much.

One last question has anyone ever gone back to an average tent after using a bell tent and why did you (if you dont mind answering of course) :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I thought the one I had for my wee flat stoves was the Chinese one :dunno: but it looks the same as the one you show lit, Martyn.
It locks on securely using the lugs at the base.

It really does give out the heat, just the CO2 issue :sigh:

atb,
M

Monoxide, not dioxide, but yes. You get CO produced from incomplete combustion and Johnboy is right, whenever you stifle or restrict a free burning flame is when you get it. Nervous as I am about these things, I would think the larger ones probably produce less, due to the fact you get better air flow through em and better combustion. The smaller ones do suffocate the flame a bit. I wouldn't bet my life on it though. ;)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Martyn (at the risk of diverting this thread) can I ask where you purchased the small barrel on which your lantern is placed, as shown in the cooking set-up photo you posted? It seems ideal in size for my requirements.
Alan

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn I love your heating option, would you rekcon it could be used inside your average tent ?

I have always been told that gas increases the amount of condensation in a tent but I think it would be a great way of keeping warm as we want to camp in winter as well.
Depends on what you mean by "average tent" but a short burst will warm anything up. Ventilation is the big thing for me though and teepees and bell tents are king of the hill in that regard. I wouldn't want to run one of these in a small nylon tent for more than a few minutes. They are definitely suited to the big tall canvas jobbies with a significant and controlled airflow. Those little square, flat stoves are pretty good too for what they are as I'm sure Mary will testify.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn (at the risk of diverting this thread) can I ask where you purchased the small barrel on which your lantern is placed, as shown in the cooking set-up photo you posted? It seems ideal in size for my requirements.
Alan

Bought it from Tengu on here and she only had the one. But if you are after something similar, do an ebay search for "flare box".

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That's correct one of the by products of LPG combustion is production of water vapour. Any unflued gas appliance will release water vapour directly into the atmosphere where it is burning...The combination of water vapour production and the other products of combustion make unflued gas heating an interesting choice for use in a Tent... Running an unflued appliance for short bursts with a LOT of ventilation is probably the safest option tbh...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Martyn you're quite right, and I need to start reading what I've typed before I post :eek:
Sorry :sigh:

On that note though, might a thread on how to best get a good burn on stoves and lanterns and the like and minimise the CO output, be a good idea ?

cheers,
M

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE