Bell tent questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I know some of you on here have Bell tents and I wondered about the weave/ weight specs.

We are looking to trade our regular family tent for a bell tent with a stove, so we can go camping all year round with the kids.

Looking at sites that sell bell tents I noticed that there is quite a difference in the canvas weight, from 285mg to 400 mg. For winter camping, especially up here in scotland with often fierce winds and heavy rain, does a 285mg canvas work? or would it not keep out the elements?

How well does the water proofing work in general?

Does the wind blow under the sides and lift the tent if it doesnt have an attached groundsheet?

Would a frontier stove work to make the tent cozy enough for two hardy kids?

is a 4m bell tent big enough for a family of 4?

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Thanks
Ness :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Water roofing is good intact perfect and I am getting a frontiers stove for Christmas
So can't help u there and 4 meters is in my opinion only big enough for two plus kit
Also never had a problem with wind and I have a detached ground sheet drew

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
V-ness give Locum67 a PM as he's used a few different ones on the farm and knows the pros and cons.

Cheers,

Liam

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
would be better if he replied here though.

kinda interested in the answers - this bell tent caper looks like fun

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm hoping Martyn will see this V'ness, if not I'll pm him. He too has a bell tent with all whistles and bells.
Morch and Mischief had one as well, and I know they really liked (like ?) it :)

cheers,
M

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Cheers Liam and Toddy we'll see if there are a few more answers then :)

Some suppliers say that a 4m tent sleeps 6 people, some say 2, thats why i wondered about peoples actual experiences.

I think we might have found a way of getting a bell tent from the Dutch manufacturers, which will knock almost £100 off the price, but that still depends on the weave, they only do the 285mg and i'm worried that the cheaper option is one we would regret :confused:

Drew- does your groundsheet attach at all, or do you just use a tarp?

Cheers

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I know some of you on here have Bell tents and I wondered about the weave/ weight specs.

We are looking to trade our regular family tent for a bell tent with a stove, so we can go camping all year round with the kids.

Looking at sites that sell bell tents I noticed that there is quite a difference in the canvas weight, from 285mg to 400 mg. For winter camping, especially up here in scotland with often fierce winds and heavy rain, does a 285mg canvas work? or would it not keep out the elements?
Hi Ness, I have a SoulPad 4000-hybrid, which is basically a 4m bell tent with a zip-in groundsheet made from the lighter canvas weight. With regard to the canvas weight, you will have no problems at all. Donyt be fooled by the name, light it is not. :D They are huge things and dont pack small and even the 4m version in light canvas is a proper maul for one man.

How well does the water proofing work in general?
They are durable, tough and guy down extremely well. The shape is excellent in winds, being very similar to a teepee. The canvas does need regular waterproofing. The waterproofing does work, but it wears. It's best when it's new. The canvas itself though, has some natural waterproofing qualities. The fibres expand when wet, much like ventile and do a fair job. In fact when the tent is new, you are supposed to hose them down to swell the fibres and then let it dry. I did this and it works. I spent almost an hour with the hose full on to the tent. I must have put hundreds of gallons of water onto it with the full pressure of the hose. It remained completely bone dry inside. Of course this isnt the stair-rod rain you get up there, but I'm confident it can weather pretty much anything. One upgrade was to swap the regular 6" tentpegs for heavy duty 9" pegs of the nail type. It aint going anywhere. The best bit though, is that the tent breathes. You get absolutely no condensation. They are not sweat boxes, they are wonderful, airy, dry environments and stay that way even with half a dozen people in em.

Does the wind blow under the sides and lift the tent if it doesnt have an attached groundsheet?
Not in mine, but as I said, I have the version with the zip-in groundsheet, so best of both worlds. But whichever version, the bottom of the walls peg down too. Wind isn't an issue. Insects are. I don't mind creepy-crawlies, but I dont like being a free meal for the local wildlife either. Midges, mozzies and tics make me miserable and irritable and that's not why I go camping. I would recommend the version with either the sewn-in groundsheet or the zip-in groundsheet, they are worth the extra money and weight. The zip in version offers the best compromise, but there are gaps where the zips meet that will let midges in if you're in a heavily infested area. Noting a couple of inches of duck tape doesn't fix though. The Soul Pad has good midge protection, even the downward facing top vents at the apex of the roof have mesh under them. You will loose some of that summer play-pen feel with no roll-up sides with the sewn in groundsheet obviously, but the bite-free slumber is bliss and worth the sacrifice IMO.

Would a frontier stove work to make the tent cozy enough for two hardy kids?
Definitely! They are a relatively small area and get warm quickly. Really, a wonderful environment.

is a 4m bell tent big enough for a family of 4?
No! Bell tents are essentially teepees with little walls. While the walls overcome some of the issues of a conical tent, they are still there. True you get much more useable internal space because of the raised walls when compared to a teepee, but a 4m tent is not palatial. For a family of 4, you need a 5m tent, no question (another reason to go for the 285g/m canvas). A lot of space can be gained by staying low down, but that is a bit of a shame with these tents. They lend themselves well to that 'army officers campaign tent' feel and to make the most of it, you want a bit of furniture in them. I dont mean a sideboard, but inflatable air mattress, bean bags etc work well - I use an army camp bed and fishing chairs in mine and its wonderful on your back and knees after a hard day. I also use aluminium Zarges boxes to store food and act as a kitchen worktop. See...

partner_stove_017.jpg

I use this outside on a nice day, but it usually lives inside the tent. I run the hose from the stove, through the gap where the zips meet on the groundsheet, out to the gas bottle outside. This provides all the heating and cooking facilities I need and a 6kg propane bottle lasts absolutely ages.

IMG_6177.jpg

If you look carefully in the left of the pic, you can just see the hose running to the gas bottle outside.

I know the tent looks see-through in this pic, but it's not. I was standing inside with a load of super-bright torches and lamps lit, while me mate took the pic. It was far, far brighter inside than you would ever have it and just done to try and get an effect for the picture.

For heating I use these on the stove....

heater002.jpg

I think they were about a tenner each and just sit on the gas rings. They turn the stove into a gas fire and really bang it out. Far safer than a wood stove, a fraction of the weight, tons more convenient and a lot cleaner. But you do loose that 'cowboy' feel a bit. Still, I'm all for practicality and anything that makes my life easier wins for me. I wouldn't leave em burning all night, because of the risk of carbon monoxide build up (even though the tent has excellent ventilation). But there is no need. I just turn em on when I go into the tent, run em for 30 mins at a time - half an hour before bed and half an hour in the morning - marvelous. That is plenty to keep the tent toasty warm even in the cold months. Depends on your needs though.

For seating I use low level fishing chairs, Nash Indulgence Lo-Chair to be specific...

NASHT9706.jpg

Super comfy, adjustable legs, mud feet etc. Bit pricey, but so glad of it at the end of the day. :)

Bed is this...

850-1X.jpg

A standard issue Nato camp bed. Very comfy. Stands about a foot high though and serves as a bench seat for 'guests' :D

You sdee what I mean about furniture? With all this kit in there, my 4m bell tent is a one man tent - I kid you not. A very comfy one man tent mind you. :D

The point being, if you plan on raising the height of your living area by using bean bags or chairs, inflatable beds or whatever, you reduce the living space. For a family of 4, you will need the 5m no question.

I'm off again in a couple of weeks with my tent, if you are not in a rush, I'll take some pics of it all set up inside the tent so you can see. It really is a fantastic internal environment. The tent breathes, the quality of light is amazing and the general feeling of comfort is unbelievable. It's glamping really. I also put rugs down - Belgian army blankets actually. Thick, soft, tough and warm. The cost all adds up and the bulk and weight is significant - but it all goes in the back of my land rover with plenty of room to spare. But do consider the size of your vehicle. The 5m belltents are pretty big things and if you end up with all the bells and whistles (which you will), you'll need the haulage space in your vehicle.

Your kids will love it and so will you.

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Thanks
Welcome. :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very Nice Comfy Setup. I use a 7 man tentipi with a woodburning stove, but it really is overkill for the UK camping I do, and Ive often considered going down the bell tent route.

** Those Zarge Boxes look like the dogs doo daas, but they aint exactly cheap!**

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Nice one Martyn, you've answered a few questions I had about bell tents, I'm thinking of getting one too.

I've got to ask, what are those thingies called you've put on the stove for heat? They look great.

Cheers
Sean

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Here ya go Sean....

http://www.outbackbarbecues.com/FreeRange/637/stove-top-heater-attachment.aspx

Supposed to bang out about 2.5kw and I can well believe it. Most of the heat from an open burner just goes up as convection, but having a lump of metal on there, cause the heat to convert to radiation, which goes out in all directions, not just up. So instead of just heating the top of the tent above the stove, everything arround the stove gets warmed up. They are very good. You could probably bodge something together easily enough, they are like a double skinned mesh strainer - but they are cheap enough to buy. If you have the right type of grill for them to sit on, they lock in place with bayonet lugs. I cant do that with my stove, but they work fine just placed on top. It's literally like turning on a gas fire inside your tent - one is plenty tbh. Running 2 puts out 5kw which is about the same as a medium sized woodburning stove. I wouldn't want to run em for too long though, because of the carbon monoxide. Then there is the gas, it'd be pricey running em off small cannisters. Best off a bulk propane cylinder and I definitely would never run one on the top of a cannister mounted stove - it'd overheat the cannister and melt the seals - BANG and goodnight! Probably OK on something like an Optimus 111 though, or a Nova or similar. Pretty deadly in a small nylon tent I would think too - I would only consider running one inside a large, well ventilated jobbie - something you might put a woodstove into. Fine inside a teepee or belltent for short periods with the vents open.

ImageService.axd

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2011
UK
A few questions re the soulpad.
Does the door have a mesh inner door?
Does anyone have experience of the `inner tent`, do they leave much living room?Is the footprint of the inner tent practical for a double airbed?
Thinking of the 5m tent.
Thanks in anticipation.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A few questions re the soulpad.
Does the door have a mesh inner door?
Yes. The half moon wall-w3indows are mesh screened too as is the apex vents. You can completely bug-seal the versions with integral or zip-in groundsheets, but with a gale blowing through em at the same time. Brilliant for buggy summers.
Does anyone have experience of the `inner tent`, do they leave much living room?
Forget it. They dont compartmentalise that well and they reduce the internal volume, I really wouldn't bother. You'll want the living space with no walls in the way and they are really just a privacy curtain anyway. Possibly useful if you have a tent with no groundsheet though and you are going somewhere that bugs are a problem.
Is the footprint of the inner tent practical for a double airbed?
For a 4m, yeah it'll go in. It'll take up half your tent, but that still leaves half - it will fit. But as I said, you'll be ground dwelling to save space. A 5m would be better as you'll be able to use furniture, chairs and such. But if you're happy on the floor, then 4m would be fine for a couple.

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Here ya go Sean....

http://www.outbackbarbecues.com/FreeRange/637/stove-top-heater-attachment.aspx

Supposed to bang out about 2.5kw and I can well believe it. Most of the heat from an open burner just goes up as convection, but having a lump of metal on there, cause the heat to convert to radiation, which goes out in all directions, not just up. So instead of just heating the top of the tent above the stove, everything arround the stove gets warmed up. They are very good. You could probably bodge something together easily enough, they are like a double skinned mesh strainer - but they are cheap enough to buy. If you have the right type of grill for them to sit on, they lock in place with bayonet lugs. I cant do that with my stove, but they work fine just placed on top. It's literally like turning on a gas fire inside your tent - one is plenty tbh. Running 2 puts out 5kw which is about the same as a medium sized woodburning stove. I wouldn't want to run em for too long though, because of the carbon monoxide. Then there is the gas, it'd be pricey running em off small cannisters. Best off a bulk propane cylinder and I definitely would never run one on the top of a cannister mounted stove - it'd overheat the cannister and melt the seals - BANG and goodnight! Probably OK on something like an Optimus 111 though, or a Nova or similar. Pretty deadly in a small nylon tent I would think too - I would only consider running one inside a large, well ventilated jobbie - something you might put a woodstove into. Fine inside a teepee or belltent for short periods with the vents open.

ImageService.axd

Thanks Martyn they look like just what we'll need for in between when I've bought the tent and when I've saved up for the wood stove.

I was thinking of getting one of the inner tents that uses up a quarter of the space and put the three kids in there on an airbed but from what you've just said I think we'll go open plan. Thanks again.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Obelink sell great polycotton tarps, that a lot of Bell Tent owners bought direct from the Netherlands.
Then last year Obelink stopped delivery to the UK.
You can still buy the polycotton tarps in their store in the netherlands for less than 50 quid.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...nl/tenten/merken/hypercamp/tarp-beige-tc.html

They cost double that in the UK now.....

http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=57

I looked into it a while back, as a porch for the tentipi, but wasnt going to pay twice the price..........

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE