Beginner Spinning Rod and Reel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi :)

I would like to start fishing on rivers for medium sized fish but I don't really know much about fishing yet. I would like a general spinning rod and reel which can be used for as many applications as possible.

I also don't want to spend too much, in the long run I would like to be able to fish without any equipment (make my own hooks and line etc.) however I have already tried this and not been successful yet, so I figure I'll learn the conventional way first and then go from there.

For the rod I have found a 6.5ft Shakespeare Zeta Spinning Rod. (Apparently a general spinning rod.)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeare-Zeta-Spinning-Rod/dp/B004AM5ZJU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

For the reel I have found a Daiwa Sweepfire 4000X Reel SWFR4000X. It has 240m-12lbs line capacity which I assume means is the maximum you can use with it and not the only strenth line? (4lbs - 10lbs is apparently the most useful?)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Daiwa-Sweepfire-4000X-Reel-SWFR4000X-/251254573873#vi-content

These items are about £15 each but I am willing to spend anything up to around £50 for the pair.

Thanks a lot :)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
That stuff will do you, but a longer spinning rod (8') with a similar cast rating (the one in the link has a cast weight rating 10 to 25 grams) would perhaps be better, maybe even slightly lighter say 5 to 25 grams.

The reel looks fine, but it should be possible to find a reel that comes with a spare spool for the similar price, that enables you to have a couple of different lines, say one spooled with 6lb, the other say 8lb, that you can use for different things, float fishing and spinning.

I'd head down to the local angling shop and ask what fishing is in your area as that'll have a bearing on the kit, rod cast rating, line test etc.

Tight lines

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The 240 mtrs of 12lb is only an indication of how much the spool will hold. If you wished you could load it with 50lb line.
If your lure/spinning on rivers I would say 8-10lb would be ok but be prepared to lose lures as most rivers hold unseen snags.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
if your going after pike a wire trace will be needed too. Most rods will take plenty of abuse and cheap reels are plentiful. Ive always believed that the kit doesnt matter as much as the presentation of the rig and your skill at working the lure. I always recall a competition in angling times way back when where ivan marks kicked everybodys butt with a stick cut from the hedge used as a whip.

edit it might have been Ian Heaps but the point is the same lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE