Beeswax to seal a wooden cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a wooden cup i like to use for beer but sadly a crack has appeared in the bottom. I was wondering. Is pure beeswax safe to use as a sealant? i am only using it for cold drinks.

sent from the back of beyond using "new-fangled" technology

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could, and I understand the desire for something natural - I would probably make up something like cutlers resin which is equally safe and natural, but sets rock hard like a glue - foour parts resin, 1 part beeswax, 1 part fine sand (or brick dust). Melt together and use as a hot glue - used to be used on knife scales, very solid stuff.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Off topic a bit, whilst I was at the WoodFair at Bently over the weekend Bardster and Mafrow showed me some leather bottles and tankards that were sealed with beeswax, I found the experience interesting and could get used to the taste as I was only drinking water as HillBill said either or either, enjoy the results.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Done and it works a treat! Thanks for the advice

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE