bedroom hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
Hi as above, am needing to swap my bed for a hammock,
my problem is the morta in the brick work in my house is totaly cr**, Am worryed about pulling the bricks out the wall,
Has any one had this problem before? any idears
The best i can think off, is too somethink like a lenght of say angle iron too the wall so the am drilling-fixing into many bricks, to spead the weight,
Any better idears that wount drive the wife nuts.
Thanks
Richard

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
this one's not overly big
[video=youtube;yU-0GQKpd_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU-0GQKpd_M[/video]

ahh cross-posted, you've already rejected that design

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
nitrambur
Thats a really good vid, i did consider making it for my garden, but in the end i have just got some wooden post concreted in.
But many thanks.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Headshed
will do, am looking know
Damm good stands, but problem is my bedrooms to small for the back pole,
Alternatively look at attaching fixings into the roof joists across the rooms corners. But check out hammcok forums for the 'Hammock Calculator' which is a sobering insight into the forces generated by hammock suspension.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use 2 wooden uprights screwed to the wall with a top wooden bar (at least above head height) that runs between the 2 uprights. The top bar takes all the strain off the walls and takes up a tiny volume in the room, nothing to trip over. Handy to throw the hammock over to keep it out the way in the day too.The screws in the wall just stop the stand falling over, so minimal force. If you put the uprights in the corners, you don't even need to screw it to the wall as it's going nowhere.
The bottoms of the uprights are screwed to the floorboards with L brackets and they wont ever budge-this transfers the rest of the strain to the floor. Eye bolts through the wood and steel maillons to clip the hammock to the eye bolts.

My wooden uprights are double 6x1" (150x25mm) timber, placed egde to the wall, with pieces of 6x1 as shelves installed.

If you paint the top bar to match the ceiling, it hides well.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
Headshed
i think that my be the way forward, with the "Hammock Calculater" is it whats in the The Ultimate Hang:? The figures are sobering,

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What teepee said, tho I would add.

I use a hammock occasionally strung off the frame of my four poster bed. The uprights of which are 70mm x 70mm, and the cross beams at the top are 44mmx92mm. This is more than enough strength for a hammock.

If you were to use Oak rather than the pine that I have, you may find you can shave a bit off the thicknesses here.

Oh, and I use petzl caving anchors much like these.

J

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I use these type of things..

image.jpg
With four long rawlbolts in each. They aint going anywhere !

Do you have room to hang diagonally? Might help ?

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
looking at the hammock stand thats been shown.
would it be ok in the loft to use a bar, that runs across the beams, ( so it speads the wieght) and have two lenghts of amsteel atachcted too a bar,
the same as the stand but useing the celing beams, instead of the stand?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
looking at the hammock stand thats been shown.
would it be ok in the loft to use a bar, that runs across the beams, ( so it speads the wieght) and have two lenghts of amsteel atachcted too a bar,
the same as the stand but useing the celing beams, instead of the stand?

That would be fine with a big beam but the attachment points will likely be too high unless your room is really big. (20ft+) My 3.5m span has the attachments at elbow height.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Headshed
i think that my be the way forward, with the "Hammock Calculater" is it whats in the The Ultimate Hang:? The figures are sobering,[/QUO
Yes that's the one, Teepee's idea, is very sound, it's like the turtle dog stand but without the tripod. The jist of it is that you need the horizontal beam to remove the reaction force at the wall (combined bending moment and tensile load). Remember the taughter ie flatter the supports the higher the loads.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE