Bedroll Bivvi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On my recent trip in Luxembourg, it occurred to me how much faff it is each morning packing everything back into it's various stuff sacks/ dry bags, Ready to get moving. Which got me wondering if it wouldn't just be simpler to deflate my sleep mat, and role it up with my bivvi bag and sleeping bag as one unit, bungee it on the bike and get moving. I know that bedrolls like this have existed for ages in canvas and the like materials, but what, if any ill effects might I encounter if I were to roll up a exped Synmat, a Goretex Bivvi bag, a synthetic sleeping bag and a snugpak TS1 liner, as one unit and treat it as a bedroll? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v done that many times when motorbike touring. It takes up much more space in a pack, but if you can just strap to a bike then yeah, why not

Even done it with a full tent a couple of times when in a rush to leave a rally....just pull the poles out and wrap it up

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Is there something obvious I'm missing?

No idea, been doing just that for a while and, so far, nothing's jumped out at me as an >oops< :slap: . Makes it a lot easier, rocking up and rolling out :D
Bag varies depending on temperature ~ If travelling (as opposed to car) it all goes into a near indestructible dry bag with light bag sets being strapped to the side and heavy sets under the lid.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
As others, Ive done this as well, it just adds to the bulk but if transport isn't a problem then why not. The mat won't suffer if deflated and rolled in a bivi / sleeping bag as opposed to rolled and in a stuff sack.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
On my recent trip in Luxembourg, it occurred to me how much faff it is each morning packing everything back into it's various stuff sacks/ dry bags, Ready to get moving. Which got me wondering if it wouldn't just be simpler to deflate my sleep mat, and role it up with my bivvi bag and sleeping bag as one unit, bungee it on the bike and get moving. I know that bedrolls like this have existed for ages in canvas and the like materials, but what, if any ill effects might I encounter if I were to roll up a exped Synmat, a Goretex Bivvi bag, a synthetic sleeping bag and a snugpak TS1 liner, as one unit and treat it as a bedroll? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

J

With the exception that i had a foam mat, that is EXACTLY what I used to do, strap in the middle to hold it together, Bungee net to the cack of the Wildstar and off.. getting to my destination, i was ready to kip in 2 minutes if need be, and away in a 5

PS.if your bike keys fall outta your pocket....and they will.....this can make leaving into a 90 minute 'wheredahellilosemykeys??' kinda ordeal......:lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As well as bulk in certain climates it can lead to moisture build up in your sleep system. Over time it can make it less efficient.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE