Bed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, i have been thinking about the systems we all use to get a good nights sleep, many people have taken to using hammocks,therma-rest mats,bivi bags ect ect which can leave a rather large hole in your wallet. So i thought maybe for the newcomer to this forum/bushcraft or someone who cannot afford such items,that they can still enjoy a night under the stars and get that all important good nights sleep.

Even in survival situations one of the most important elements is rest,without it we can become even more stressed,thus affecting our ability to make good or even life saving decisions.

Most books i've read tell you the importance of a good bed but don't really give much in the way of construction methods.

So here is a picture tutorial.

rSmall.jpg

First of all i lay on the ground to mark my body length,then i put down the base logs and hammered in four pegs,the pegs stopped the bedding spreading from body weight. By raising the bed of the ground it acts as a comfy chair for sitting in front of the fire.

sSmall.jpg

Here you can see the bed taking shape,and how the pegs are doing their job,also note the log at the head end which i like to use to help raise the browse acting like a pillow.

uSmall.jpg

The browse was then laid on,in this case pine branches, the deeper the browse the more comfy it will be.

vSmall.jpg

And here we see camp.

qSmall.jpg

Also please remember to clear up after your self,returning everthing back to mother nature, as i'm sure you would anyway.

May i point out that all timber used was dead wood already lying around,and the pine branches were cut from a tree which had been blown over in a storm a few days before i made this bed.

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Top job Stuart....nice looking set up you made there :)

Quite similar to the one we made in Sweden last year:

Sweden019.jpg

and just starting to add the thick layer of bowes:

Sweden024.jpg

Who needs thermorests! lol :lmao:

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Nice one! I have often thought of making a bed like that but I have such trouble sleeping I always end up in the sleeping bag with a cheap old roll mat and thus get the predicted bad night!
This post has inspired me to try the methods pointed out here at last!
Thank guys :)
Pete

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Larch boughs make lovely bedding as the needles are so soft, much more comfortable than pine. Stack them till about waist height and climb onboard.... its like a very springy matress :D

Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
tomtom said:
nice job stuart, how long did it take you to put that lot together? :)

Hi tomtom, i did this about a year ago when i walked following a local river from source to end. Anyway it did,nt take that long as all the materials were close to hand,i'd say it took about a couple of hours to make the whole camp cosy for the night.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Ed said:
Larch boughs make lovely bedding as the needles are so soft, much more comfortable than pine. Stack them till about waist height and climb onboard.... its like a very springy matress :D

I have used a few different materials,spruce boughs are quite prickly to use on there own but i have used them,i just topped them with ferns or dry grass or even heather to make it comfy.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Really nice jobs on the beds Stuart/Bambo !

A question comes to my mind seeing those setups. I was wondering about insects, are they inclined to climb in the branches of the bed ? In other words, did any of you who use that technique ever woke up with "ants in your pants" ... litteraly I mean :D

Thanks for the info,

Cheers !

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
fredcraft said:
A question comes to my mind seeing those setups. I was wondering about insects, are they inclined to climb in the branches of the bed ? In other words, did any of you who use that technique ever woke up with "ants in your pants" ... litteraly I mean :D

No not at all....in fact no more so than sleeping in a dossbag on the floor and less then bundled up in a leafhut :)

A couple of HH fungus or similar on the fire to keep the flying biters away and bob's your uncle :lmao:

Cheers,

Bam. :)

These are great text book examples and sure they will do their job however I have some serious reservations about this type of shelter in temperate regions and especially in the north and west of Scotland.

Okay the single person coffin type shelters are great but I'd be really interested in other shelters or tarp set ups that folk have made and actually used for extended periods. I lived rough in the early eighties and got by on a couple of poncho's summer and winter but it wasn't easy. What have you found out that works best?

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Nice pictures :)

I tried it as well. I used spruce boughs to sleep on. I laid them in a fish grate pattern. A few layers. I used it in combination with a tarp.

What I didn't like about it where the resin stains and a little hole in my bivibag. Next time I will top it off with dry grass. Good idea indeed Stuart!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't seen this first time round, so glad you changed your account.

Nice one Stuart :approve:

Thanks for sharing :cool:

Have you tried heather and myrtle for the browse ? Very springy and it smells wonderful :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE