Bear Grylls Ultimate knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
To be fair, if I was given the task of coming up with a knife, I would probably do a worse job than this. Yes, it's not to everyone's taste but there's a lot of thought gone into the design - grippy handle, holes for lashing it, fire steel striker etc. At least being from Gerber there is a chance the blade will be OK - it's certainly a better implement than the Rambo style "survival" knife (hollow handle with survival kit inside!) I bought from a French market many years ago. The price isn't bad (certainly less than the RM product) and you're unlikely to lose it with that colour scheme! A triumph of function over form, perhaps?

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
I have a knife-enthusiast friend who got a $30 BG folder as a recent Father's Day gift from a grown child. It really is cheesy - more like a checkout rack $5 PRC-made knife than anything I'd want to depend on. His child, like so many others this year, was 'sold' by the BG advertisements in the discount stores. Gerber had to produce a series of 'affordable' BG knives. One poster in the thread referenced earlier said the orange plastic handles reminded him of the cheap halloween pumpkins - great comparison. As to USA made Gerbers, I have a 13mm lockback blade with 100% serrations... it's a folding camp saw, about the only thing in a bushcraft vein that should be serrated, if one were to ask me. I do think a Gerber I've had for a few years, a US-made Freeman in S30V and stag scales and with a leather sheath, is a decent bushcraft knife. It's just over $100 nowadays - but still a value - decent blade metal that takes and keeps a great edge. My other Gerber is another 'Survival' knife - a Father's Day gift from No. 1 son some years back - a then closeout priced mystery metal LMFII - he's a great 'bargain shopper' - $60! Not so fond of serrations, that knife is in my 'bug out bag' with my important house papers. The Gerber Freeman in S30V & stag has seen a lot more use - more my idea of a 'bushcraft' knife - but that's a highly personal definition.

Re the Mora as a bushcraft knife... we have a fellow - part of 'Dual Survivor' on Discovery - Cody Lundin - who uses one almost all of the time. Of course, he also wears short pants and goes barefoot - everywhere. Perhaps not their finest spokesman. One day, I must get a Mora... forget the barefoot thing - we have snakes!

John (aka Stainz)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE