Bear Grylls Parang Recall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mohd

Jul 4, 2012
Malaysia
Gerber Bear Grylls parang is a production knife.
The traditional parang is a handmade knife.

Health Canada posted the reason as "A weakness in the area where the handle meets the blade can cause the handle or the blade to break during use, posing a laceration hazard".

IMVHO most probably the Gerber Bear Grylls parang which is a production knife was actually given a full hardening treatment which is very bad for a parang. Traditionally the tempering of the parang must be done with a zone hardening or differential hardening method whereby only the area of the cutting edge is hardened and the other part of it is left relatively soft.

I don't know much about the type of steel used for that parang. Few websites mentioned that it is made from "Robust High Carbon Steel Blade - Enhances strength, corrosion resistance and easy to sharpen" without specifically quoted the exact type of the steel used for it.

Could it be the steel type is the main problem?

Kindly take note that Gerber Bear Grylls parang is built with full tang and it has a rather thick and wide ricasso!
Meaning the problem must be from the type of steel and the heat treatment processes (i.e. including the full hardening issue)!

Again IMVHO if the Gerber Bear Grylls parang failed then the other Gerber products might be having the same problem due to the same tempering processes especially those made from the same type of steel.

mohd

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Think you are spot on, Mohd.. Gerber's blades generally get a pretty poor write-up in the U.S.
regarding toughness (tendancy towards brittleness, if that's a word :rolleyes: ) as well as difficulty in sharpening.
However, the same does not seem to apply to their other products such as multi-tools and saws, which get
very good reports...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That is not going to happen with my el cheapo bit of car spring otherwise known as my Spear and Jackson Machete, it is still cutting the grass and hacking the brambles, and if the handle comes off, well I'll just make another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE