Bear Grylls doing a "Ray"??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just seen the Bear Grylls knife on sale for £350 !!:eek: Here

http://www.bayleyknife.com/bear.htm

bear01hdol1.jpg

Now is it me or is this strikingly like the Fallkniven H1 which at £70 is just £280 cheaper??

fallknivenh1.jpg

Looks like Bear's jumped on the commercial bandwagon.. Following in the footsteps of the mighty "Ray":D

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Any Idea what type of steel it is?
Would you buy one? I have A Bark River "Fox River" in D2 ($170 can ) That I can Write "BEAR" on a sell it to you for $750. can.
P.m me if interested......
LOL.

Shameless....also I wouldn't want anybody thinking I actually watch the Old Faker!!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'm one of the poor souls that actually openly admits to watching and enjoying his shows :p Nothing useful, of course, though i did enjoy watching him attempt and fail to mount a wild horse.
I was almost certain that it was the fallkniven h1 he used in his show, though apparantly I may be mistaken.

I sure wouldn't use it. Too thick for a knife that size IMHO, and I detest secondary bevels. While the profile of the handle looks alright, the corners lack ergonomics for me and I'm sure it would be bothering me before I'd finished whittling a stake from a softwood. And my last note of negativity, I hate the guard.

That being said. if I could shell out knives for £350 by slapping my name on it, I can't honestly say that I'd decline the offer. I wouldn't compare it to Ray, though; Ray Mears got his popularity by sharing useful knowledge with the world, and he sold a knife which was his favourite option. Bear Grylls got his popularity by putting himself in a variety of highly uncomfortable and often disgusting positions, lying to the public and then selling a knife that he probably had little to no part in designing. I'm not a fan of Mr Mears' knife either, but I'd much rather buy it for the £700-odd they're going for on ebay, than Bear's knife for stock price, even if only for principle.

Peace

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
if i could put my name on a knife and add money to its value i would ,You cant blame bear and ray for making some money off there names ,wouldnt we all like to sell £70 knives for £350.
If people want to spend there money on expensive knives and kit thats up to them.
Personally i wouldnt spend more than £100 on a knife and sheath but i like using knives, im not a collector or a millionare.

F

FTAG

"Check out the COOL bead blasted handle to aid grip"

thats says it all :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Personally i wouldnt spend more than £100 on a knife and sheath but i like using knives, im not a collector or a millionare.

Right on !!! I use knives too. I have a few but none are drawer queens:D And none are over the £100 mark (although my bison bushcraft might be worth over £100 now)

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Any Idea what type of steel it is?
Would you buy one? I have A Bark River "Fox River" in D2 ($170 can ) That I can Write "BEAR" on a sell it to you for $750. can.
P.m me if interested......
LOL.

Shameless....also I wouldn't want anybody thinking I actually watch the Old Faker!!

I don't think the Fox River is D2. All the fox rivers I've seen so far are made out of A2

This is quite the price for such a knife. i'll stick with my scandi's and Barkies :D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't really see the similarity between the Grylls knife and the H1 :dunno:
I don't particularly like Grylls, his style of "survival" or his knife but it's really not a fair comparison, the H1 is a high volume production knife and the Bayley is a small production hand made custom knife.
I don't fancy the "action sheath" at all and i think the price is too high but it's not a straight comparison between the Bayley and the Fallkniven.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I'm waiting for his guide to getting lost or should that be navigation by sun and lichen, and guide to fire by friction using fresh sea weed.

Caught one of his shows the other week when he built a shelter on a sand bar and was surprised when it flooded after rain, oh I did :lmao:

Honestly though if I were lost wet and hungry I would be glad to see him because close behind would be a film crew, catering van and helicopter.

Who funds this idiot and his exploits.

Pothunter.

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
Maybe Les Stroud, the Canadian 'Survivorman' on the 'Discovery' channel here (NE of Birmingham - Alabama - USA), will sign some of the Buck 119s, available unsigned here at Wally Worlds for $34, or the Leatherman multi-tools. He is the 'real deal'.

Grylls did start me on my 'bushcraft knife' quest last fall - after seeing him drag the Bayley knife's blade across a ferrosteel for a spark. I was shocked when I saw the price, of course... and wondered, how'd he sign his own Bayley - "Me"? I did buy some nice Bark Rivers, inc the Gameskeeper, Fox River, etc, after that. I still haven't found fresh pachyderm poo to squeeze the water out of to drink... I have to wonder how much he gets paid to eat/drink such gross stuff...

Hey, he did actually fly a powered parasail up near Mt. Everest last spring - I saw the video. Kudos to him for that.

Stainz

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
The steel used is RWL 34.I own two Bayley knives and they are both well made
but I do get the feeling he knows more about making them than he does about using
them.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
Who but a serious collector would shell out that much for a knife,that is two paychecks for me.I'd sooner lay my sights on a Bark River,I've had experience with them and know
they have about the sharpest edge I've seen in a long time.
I am currently awaiting a new Aurora model and hope to post my experience with it
when received.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE