Bear follows man. Scary.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting. That one is easily enough identified as a grizz. The face is a bit to flat in the profile (not dished) but still everything else fits a grizz compared to a black bear. Follow this link fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID and follow the links to the training. If you proceed as far as the comparison of claws you'll see why grizz aren't supposed to be able to climb; their claws are long and straight and don't hook well into trees. I've never seen one climb and for that matter I've never heard of one with a cub that didn't attack. I'm really not sure what to make of that video but I suspect trickery TBH.

Sorry that link didn't post as a URL. Type it in though and you'll get to the site.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Interesting. That one is easily enough identified as a grizz. The face is a bit to flat in the profile (not dished) but still everything else fits a grizz compared to a black bear. Follow this link fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID and follow the links to the training. If you proceed as far as the comparison of claws you'll see why grizz aren't supposed to be able to climb; their claws are long and straight and don't hook well into trees. I've never seen one climb and for that matter I've never heard of one with a cub that didn't attack. I'm really not sure what to make of that video but I suspect trickery TBH.

Sorry that link didn't post as a URL. Type it in though and you'll get to the site.

I just had a look at that site very good info, and i done the id test i got 70% not to bad i thought, will be reading more on the subject

Cheers for the link

Jason

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not neccessarily true. If that's a grizzly bear they cannot climb. At all. Hard to tell though from the video if it's a young grizz or a brown phase of a black bear.

All bears climb.
Some more than others but they'll all out climb any normal human.
Saying that i suppose if you were an extremely talented climber and there was a rock wall near you i can't see many bears getting up a shear rock face.

You'd better be good though cause he'll be sat waiting at the bottom for your arms of legs to fatigue ;)

If a bear wants you dead then unless your packing some serious fire power the only methods you have are.

1/ Bluff it out by noise and waving your arms around to look big

2/ If #1 doesn't work curl into a ball and play dead.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That single video is the only evidence I've ever seen of adult grizzlies climbing. I've still never seen or heard of Polar bears or Gobi bears climbing. Granted Polar bears don't have anything to climb though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That single video is the only evidence I've ever seen of adult grizzlies climbing. I've still never seen or heard of Polar bears or Gobi bears climbing. Granted Polar bears don't have anything to climb though.

P.S. I don't think even a lion or tiger could bluff an adult grizzlie. They just don't really know the meaning of fear once they're angered. Or challenged.

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor

If you google it there is lots of info and accounts of grizzlies climbing

Jason

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you google it there is lots of info and accounts of grizzlies climbing

Jason

Maybe but from what sources? All the Game and Fish agencies say they don't. All the people I know in Alaska and the Rockies say they don't. All reliable info says they don't. As I said have a look at their claw structure and it will be pretty evident that they're just not adapted well for it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just had a look at that site very good info, and i done the id test i got 70% not to bad i thought, will be reading more on the subject

Cheers for the link

Jason

I just re-watched the original video of the bear stalking the photographer. At about the 46 second mark you get a pretty good profile showing the back-line and ears. I thought it fit the brown phased black bear's traits. What do you think?

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I just re-watched the original video of the bear stalking the photographer. At about the 46 second mark you get a pretty good profile showing the back-line and ears. I thought it fit the brown phased black bear's traits. What do you think?

I will have another look

Jason

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor

I had another look and at 32,,46 and 1m36sec going by the Id check its a black bear in brown phase but at 35sec it looks like a grizzly .Hard to say but no matter what it is i would not want it stalking me !!!

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE