Beachcraft UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
As bushcraft covers others places than woodlands thought I'd let you know about a good place for a hunter gathering visit.I'm talking about the Isles of Scilly.
I havent been for a few years,but its a place that changes very little.I spent 3 weeks on the smallest inhabited island and hardly ate anything that we didn't catch or collect ourselves.Two of us collected enough prawns to feed 7 people in just a couple of hours! a whole bucket full.mackrel and pollack were on the menu quite a lot as they are easy to catch off the rocky parts of the island.Sea beet also grows in abundance and is an exellent veg to eat. then theres the shellfish and the rabbits(the farmer sells them for £2 each)I havent even mentioned the Turks Head.(PUB!) :uu:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Bushcraft can be a bit of a misleading name as it covers anywhere woodland, desert, tropical forests etc beaches are espcially abundent with things to eat
when justin time, Ed, and myself spent a weekend on the beach in south wales we caught a dozen crabs (most of which went back and we kept the biggest) and 3 rabbits, sea beet, jews ear etc etc

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The beach has to be one of my most favorite places to forage for food.... as long as there is no serious polution problem then there is no reason why you can't eat 'very well' along the costal path ;-)

:)
Ed

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
we live on a small island so never more than 5 minute's from the beach and we have had many a free meal from them but many people overlook the abundence of free food we have at are fingertip's because it is to easy to pop to the supermarket and buy it in foil wrapped packet's say la vie :roll:

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Not only can the coast be a good source of food, much else of use can be found- I normally take an almost empty 70l rucksack, knife, strong scissors, sandvic saw, carrier bags, a bucket, short handled net and waterproofs. After a few hours on the beach I have seaweed, periwinkles, prawns, crabs and fish to eat (plus the occasional lobster!), a large quantity of driftwood for carving/ building stuff, sections of fishing net and a large quantity of black flint :-D

The more time you spend on any area of coastline, the easier it becomes to aquire the resources you want. :pack:

Blue Sky, Jim.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Don't forget limpets (edible, but shall we say an acquired taste :yuck:) and sea kale (which is much tastier than the stuff in the supermarkets!)

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Yeah they make better bait than food! (My youngest is an expert at getting them off rocks!)

Ginger

Apr 8, 2004
This is the second of two pix you have posted, Kath, that were a great help to me in understanding exactly what folks were talking about. Great to see them. I hope others will do this too where possible.

I will do so too, though I don't get out much!

ginger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE