Be careful with that chainsaw........(X-RAY BUT NO BLOOD/GORE)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I find the safest place is about 20 yards behind the guy using the chainsaw :)

I read somewhere the most common chainsaw injury (though this probably relates to all 2 stroke engine users I guess) is hearing damage (I've certainly met more deaf tree surgeons than limbless ones). When I was doing my chainsaw training one of the lecturers did a test with a noise meter, testing the decibel level at various locations. He found that upto 50 yards (I think, it may have been more certainly wasn't less) the decibel level was still enough to cause hearing damage. It's why I always wearing ear defenders when I'm chainsawing, even if I'm using a saw horse and may not wear all the other PPE.

I have met someone who gave themselves a frontal lobe lobotomy with a chainsaw. He'd taken off the kickback guard because it 'got in the way'. It's arguable if the accident had any impact on his intelligence.

genuine LOL. I guess the most common cause of chain saw accidents is actually stupidity.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I read somewhere the most common chainsaw injury (though this probably relates to all 2 stroke engine users I guess) is hearing damage (I've certainly met more deaf tree surgeons than limbless ones). When I was doing my chainsaw training one of the lecturers did a test with a noise meter, testing the decibel level at various locations. He found that upto 50 yards (I think, it may have been more certainly wasn't less) the decibel level was still enough to cause hearing damage. It's why I always wearing ear defenders when I'm chainsawing, even if I'm using a saw horse and may not wear all the other PPE.

genuine LOL. I guess the most common cause of chain saw accidents is actually stupidity.

Yup they've done all sorts of experiments to try to make them quieter to no avail. Even seen one with the equivalent of a car exhaust fitted to it and it made little difference. (Slightly unwieldy too!). Still I find the noise always let me know who was where and what they were doing when I ran felling squads. (Also made the general public stay out of the way rather than standing gawping at you as the tree came down.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
If you look at the ribs in relation to the chainsaw, it doesn't appear to have penetrated the chest cavity, hence survivable.

Must have looked quite sporting, plenty of claret and the flap-factor, but predominantly soft tissue damage and survivable.

Would have been interesting on the day to have seen the whole thing anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE