BCUK Ventile Jacket - a short review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You don't proof Ventile, it doesn't need it and proofing would reduce its effectiveness as the cotton fibres have to absorb a little water to swell and block the rest.

I am very tempted by this jacket but for one feature, the exposed waterproof (resistant) zips. If the jacket had a storm cover, I'd snap one up right away, but I'm put off by the exposed zips. I just know that they will fail at some point. Dirt or forest debris will get in there and stop them working properly. I know it's probably a belt and braces thing on my part, but that's the only thing stopping me wanting one.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
is there a massive amount of difference between this and the westwinds cairngorm jacket?

Dan

yes, a great deal of difference

The hood is a compleatly different design and also has wired peak, the chest pockets are much larger inside and a different shape, the lower handpockets are microfleece lined, it doesnt have a nylon liner like the cairngorm, the shoulders are double ventile and the cuffs are also a different design.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I am very tempted by this jacket but for one feature, the exposed waterproof (resistant) zips. If the jacket had a storm cover, I'd snap one up right away, but I'm put off by the exposed zips. I just know that they will fail at some point. Dirt or forest debris will get in there and stop them working properly. I know it's probably a belt and braces thing on my part, but that's the only thing stopping me wanting one.

Just seen this.

I doubt very much that the zip would fail, it's the same zip that's on my Saber bag and that's been in the jungles, desert, snow, woodlands etc for 5 years, it gets kicked about all the time and the zip is as good as new.
We have never had a zip issue on the jacket and some of the people that have bought them treat them very hard and nearly all of us use them when carrying wood and in the woodlands. I really don't think that the zip will be an issue, it's tough and it's up to the job :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The torso of the jacket is very similar, it was the basis of the Bushcraft UK Jacket. There are significant differences as Stuart mentioned above, Completely different hood, cuffs, pockets, lining and shoulders. They're the same zips and nice straight lines to the cut of the jacket.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
It looks almost identical to the west-winds Airedale jacket.

The BCUK Jacket has slightly more in common with the Airedale than it does the cairngorm, as we used the same yoke and shoulder cut as the Airedale, but otherwise list of differences is the same as the cairngorm:

The Airedale and cairngorm both have a full nylon lining with elasticated cuffs, the BCUK jacket doesn’t and uses military smock style single velcro tab cuffs.

The hood design on the BCUK jacket is unique to the BCUK jacket and neither the Airedale or cairngorm have the volume adjustment method or wired peak.

The chest pockets on the BCUK are larger than those of both the Airedale and the cairngorm, reaching right around under each armpit.

The lower hand pockets on the BCUK jacket are micro fleece lined, a feature not present on either the Airedale or the cairngorm.

The shoulders of the BCUK jacket consist of two layers of ventile, where only one is present in both the cairngorm and the Airedale.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Some more images of the BCUK ventile jacket:

main1.jpg

logo1.jpg

hoodback1.jpg

hood1.jpg

side1.jpg

back1.jpg

jacketstone1.jpg

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The more i see this jacket the more i like the idea and want one !!...bloody hell i'm going to have to sell some stuff..........Can you please stop posting pictures until I have a small Lotto win ;)

Hello, I have not been on very much. I hope all is well. I am looking for a Ventile jacket, been doing a lot of searching and I to came up with the West Winds Arctic Parker. I have tried to call them, but had no luck as yet. Will try again, then email them. I have tested all kinds of jackets, Gore, E-vent, Paramo, Wax cotton as well, and some other kinds of treated fabrics used for shooting garments. I still have two Ventile jackets, these date from 1974 and 1981. I don't use them any more, but they are stills round. All my synthetic stuff fell apart in the first year. E-vent did go on longer. I am now going back to ventile. With wool base layer, it should stand up to all I am going through at it, and more. I am writing to Swazi as I would like to get more info from them. I read some reviews, also comments from a few BC UK and NZ users. It would seam to be very good stuff.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Ventile Alternatives to the West Winds Parka (which is very good by the way) :

- SASSKit Ventile-clone smock. Very good. They will also make them in real Ventile if you can source the material from Talbot Mills.
- Hilltrek smocks and jackets . Cheaper than Westwinds and they will do any design and sizing you want (including a Paramo analogy lining)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have Ventile jackets by a wide range of makers inc West Winds and Hill Trek and love em all - but the only one I have BOUGHT and BOUGHT TWO of is the Bison Bushcraft Ventile Smock....
I love the styling (based on a SAS smock of 60s vintage - I think) fit (loose-ish for my figure, without being too long) and function (big box pockets full front zip and ventile performance.)
One (now showing its age) for the woods, one (nice and new) for town wear ...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The sass smock in 'not-but-very-like' ventile material is a similar design to the BB one mentioned by John and is also terrific imho.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
John,

I'm assuming they don't make these anymore as they don't appear on the website.

I like my BCUK Ventile as it's a very 'clean' and 'fitted' design and is an unfussy garment that is at home in town or in the woods but I'm sooooooo glad I held onto my issue Ventile Arctic Windproof when I retired as they seem to be like hen's teeth at the moment. They must have been good as everyone seems to make a similar design!

Not sure if anyone's mentioned them before but there was also a set of Ventile overtrousers that went with them - velcro slits at the bottom to get over your boots and a loose fit so you could wear them comfortably over other trousers.

I have Ventile jackets by a wide range of makers inc West Winds and Hill Trek and love em all - but the only one I have BOUGHT and BOUGHT TWO of is the Bison Bushcraft Ventile Smock....
I love the styling (based on a SAS smock of 60s vintage - I think) fit (loose-ish for my figure, without being too long) and function (big box pockets full front zip and ventile performance.)
One (now showing its age) for the woods, one (nice and new) for town wear ...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think I had the last one (made to measure:) ) but his sewist lady found Ventile tough going to sew....
and refused to do any more!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE