BBC - Alien Species.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well there is already quite good legislation to controll (some) invasive species in the UK, more species were recently added to the list as well
The problem like much legislation is the enforcement of it! Its been illegal to cause to spread in the wild many species - which we all know regularly occur and thus it effectively weakens the legislation. Having a law not being enforced is worse than no law at all.
Its somethign which will only become more important as we are getting more issues with things like dead drop oak (i think thats the name) and other very small and easily transported organisms which we may be responsible for unintentially spreading aroud.

Given all this though it still astounds me that to import plants into the UK there are no biological controls enforced.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
We don't need more legislation, there's already far too much of it and we don't have enough spare cash at the moment to make good on what we have already. Just last week, and to my mind by sleight of hand, the new government made its case for making farmers pay for TB control measures instead of using the (currently empty) public purse. They very cunningly dressed it up as a consultation on culling badgers but in reality it's a funding issue pure and simple, the bit about badgers is just to distract your attention.

In the absence of hard cash we need people with some bottle in government instead of the bunch of glamour boys we have at the moment. There are nearly 100,000 people in our prisons already and many thousands more begging for Community Service Orders. There are a couple of million unemployed. By and large they could do a job of work, for example clearing Japanese knotweed from river and canal banks, to try to put something back in the pot. Don't tell me that the offender has rights, because he also has responsibilities and it's about time he shouldered some. I'd put him in for National Service, he'd probably enjoy it a lot more than being banged up 23 hours a day. And don't tell me that the unemployed are all out looking for work, if that were the case I'd be buried in mail from jobseekers every morning -- I don't see more than one or two job applications a month.

Oh, maybe I should try to relax.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Oh, maybe I should try to relax.

Yes, I think you really need to relax. 100 thousand druggies, rapists, murders and the like roaming the countryside on the pretext of pulling weeds?? how would that put something back into the pot exactly?
We have one of the finest armed forces in the world precisely because there is no conscription and they are a well paid, professional force, why would anyone seek to undermine that?
Your comments on the unemployed are really below the belt. Obviously coming from someone too comfortable in there circumstances and aloof from the real world. I'm pretty sure that most folks who are unemployed would swap places with you in an instant.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...100 thousand druggies, rapists, murders and the like roaming the countryside on the pretext of pulling weeds?? ...

Well, another 100,000 to add to the couple of million that are out there already. And not a pretext, really doing something useful. Not necessarily all pulling weeds, obviously, and equally obviously under control.

We have one of the finest armed forces in the world ... why would anyone seek to undermine that?

Heavens, I wasn't proposing to arm them! National Service doesn't necessarily mean running off to war. A friend of mine seems to have spent most of his service time in France unblocking drains.

Your comments on the unemployed are really below the belt. Obviously coming from someone too comfortable in there circumstances and aloof from the real world. I'm pretty sure that most folks who are unemployed would swap places with you in an instant.

You might be right on several counts there. On the other hand I sometimes envy someone who isn't personally responsible for all the debts of his business, someone who doesn't have to make sure that the door is opened every morning for another day's work, someone who doesn't have to give his telephone number to the local council as a contact to be called in the middle of the night if there's a serious incident on the industrial estate, someone who doesn't have to go through the disciplinary procedures with another employee who's been thieving, threatened a co-worker or abused a customer, and someone who at Christmas can go home for a break and not even think about work until January. For me, Christmas Eve is the time when I start checking the 50,000 or so price changes that have to be applied before the first day back, and this year there's the added excitement of making sure that the VAT changes are done right (again). It all seems real enough. I'm not complaining, I hope. On New Year's day this year I was at a farm, fixing their computer, and I know how much more pressing their problems can be than any of mine.

To quote the outgoing Chancellor "there's no money". When I was twenty the government told me I'd get a pension when I was 65 years old as long as I paid enough NI contributions. So I paid, not that they gave me any choice in the matter. Now they tell me that I won't get the pension when I'm 65 after all. There's no point my bleating about it, that's the reality. I don't feel very aloof from it. So I'm looking for untapped resources and trying to avoid waste. It's what they did in the 1940s. In those lean years, you either joined the forces, or you worked where you were told to work, or you went to prison. Miss Bateman never mentioned that in my history classes. If you didn't run your farm sufficiently productively the government would take it away from you and give it to someone else. One guy died trying to keep his farm, the police shot him (in justifiable self defence, the farmer was armed with a shotgun). Miss Bateman didn't mention those things either. It came as a shock to me when I found out, but now I shouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves in that sort of situation again before very long.

To try get back on topic, we have problems with invasive species that won't go away on their own. We haven't the money to pay the bill for the welfare state, so how are we going to deal with a Spanish invasion? Passing more laws is just throwing more money down the drain.

Being in a big mess requires thinking outside the box. We might have to start thinking what for a couple of generations have been unthinkable things. Things like "why are you growing flowers instead of vegetables?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE