Baofeng ham radios uv5r

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Hi chaps not sure if this is the place to ask but here goes

So friend of mine has a beafeng uv5r ham radio and I know that u need a licence to transmit with these radios but not to listen in he likes to sit and listen to boat traffic ECT witch is great just wondering can you use these radios on an open frequency for me to use in the woods with my lad ?
Anyone that knows all the jargon and laws would really appreciate being educated lol

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The simple answer, legally, no. The reason being, even though you can tune these radios into PMR frequencies, the lowest power setting is 1 watt, the maximum for PMR is 0.5 watts. PMR are non licence handheld radios, you can buy a cheap set for the price of a beofeng, then you and you lad can use them in the woods.
Hope that’s of some help.

Apr 19, 2024
Kent
The simple answer, legally, no. The reason being, even though you can tune these radios into PMR frequencies, the lowest power setting is 1 watt, the maximum for PMR is 0.5 watts. PMR are non licence handheld radios, you can buy a cheap set for the price of a beofeng, then you and you lad can use them in the woods.
Hope that’s of some help.
Yes that helps it's a shame but I suppose that by design as I'm sure people when then use them inappropriately, maybe I'll get one to listen in and then get me and the kids some cheap little walkies. Thanks m,8

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Or you could do the amateur radio foundation level exam think it's about 25quid each. Online courses like Essex ham will get you through it no problems. Then you can use upto 25watts on a large range of frequency not just uhf. Plenty of amateurs on here.
Best of luck
73 de Steve M0USX

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Or you could do the amateur radio foundation level exam think it's about 25quid each. Online courses like Essex ham will get you through it no problems. Then you can use upto 25watts on a large range of frequency not just uhf. Plenty of amateurs on here.
Best of luck
73 de Steve M0USX

25w on a foundation license?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Best of luck
73 de Steve M0USX
Only issue with this is his lad would need to take the exam too, don’t know how old he is.
73 M0ZGN

Apr 19, 2024
Kent
My boy is 12 so proberly not do able seems I mite have to stick to some budget walkies sooooo leads me on to another question if I get my licence and us a beafeng can I communicate with him if he is using a licence free walki or dose it not work like that sorry if these are really done question

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
There wouldn’t be much point in one of you having a license and using pmr frequencies as you are still limited to half a watt. Either go the business radio route … or even better, both of you do the Foundation exam. It’s honestly really easy. Six year olds could probably manage it ! I did :lmao:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The foundation, isn’t to difficult and it’s a multi guess style exam paper, once you have the licence it lasts a lifetime. Why don’t you both try, opens up a all new world, not only vhf/uhf radios but the much more interesting world of HF comms, then the whole world is open to you!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
My boy is 12 so proberly not do able seems I mite have to stick to some budget walkies sooooo leads me on to another question if I get my licence and us a beafeng can I communicate with him if he is using a licence free walki or dose it not work like that sorry if these are really done question
12 is plenty old enough with work, plenty of 10/11 year olds pass foundation.

Reactions: GrandadInTheWoods

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
To be fair mite be worth looking into he's in cadets and loves it and I know they use ham radios in that so mite be worth irn
Go for it, what have you got to lose, I helped with the cadets and got them sorted out with Ham licences, of all the cadets who took the test all passed. We had a radio room and there was no stopping them, those who had licences were the designated radio ops on the sections and used baofengs, as miles better than the PMR’s!

Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Go for it, what have you got to lose, I helped with the cadets and got them sorted out with Ham licences, of all the cadets who took the test all passed. We had a radio room and there was no stopping them, those who had licences were the designated radio ops on the sections and used baofengs, as miles better than the PMR’s!
Ow really that's cool mite be worth having a chat with the cadets as well then see if there interested in something like that

Reactions: mikehill

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Ow really that's cool mite be worth having a chat with the cadets as well then see if there interested in something like that
I was with the air cadets and the HQ were really helpful in setting it up and arranging the exam. With things on line now I’m sure it would be easier still, ask around the local radio clubs if they are interested in assisting, many are really keen to get new blood into the hobby.
Good luck!

Apr 19, 2024
Kent
I was with the air cadets and the HQ were really helpful in setting it up and arranging the exam. With things on line now I’m sure it would be easier still, ask around the local radio clubs if they are interested in assisting, many are really keen to get new blood into the hobby.
Good luck!
Thank you m8 decently worth ago

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE