Bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

gregorach said:
I have absolutely no idea what quantities I use... I work entirely by eye and experience, both at home and in the field. Whenever I try and measure quantities, it never turns out right...

Same here. I measured the first two times I tried to make it, and since then I've gone mainly on consistency and volume. Of course mine is a pretty simple recipe, but still.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
saffy said:
I dunno what I am doing wrong but I have tried the OP's recipe 3 times, 2 twice at home and once in camp and each time resulted is an inedible bannok fit for the trash along with unused mix.

There is an awful bitter metallic after taste which burns to the degree that the tasters (not just me) pallet was left stripped. I assume this is due to the stated quantity of baking powder used, as said I do not know what else I am doing wrong.

Reading on this thread that others have cooked via this recipe and posted their findings as a tasty bannock really irks me :lmao: ... are they heavy smokers with no sense of taste? :confused:

Having experimented with the original recipe and taking advice on recommend baking powder quantities I have come to a recipe I am happy with which produces something tasty and edible for me (Although I am still playing with quantities). As long as the dough is not kneaded to death the quantities I have stated produce 4 of 8inch diameter by a risen 1.25 inch thick cooked bannocks, one of which is more than enough for a mans meal.

12 oz (cup n half) self raising flour
12 oz (cup n half) wholemeal plain flour
4 oz (half cup) dried skimmed milk
4 oz (half cup) vegetable suet
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon unrefined sugar

Optional: Add 2 oz of dried fruit, nut or seeds to the mix. My current favourite is palmful of torn dates and sunflower seeds.
Saffy, in your recipe it seems a much more sensible quantity of baking powder is used. I've yet to try John's recipe but am afraid a quarter cup of baking powder seems rather extreme to me and also a couple of other chefs i've talked to too, however, the proof will be in the pudding (or in this case Bannock), when i make it myself using John's recipe.

As a preference anyways, i try whenever possible to use proper yeast as opposed to baking powder, for a little more work the end results are far superior :D.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am getting confused here!
The recipe I gave seems identical in cup proportions to the one submitted by Saffy except Saffy has twice the sugar - yet folk are saying that the proportions make more sense....?

My recipe ----------- Saffys

SR flour 3 cups ------------- 1 1/2
WM flour 3 cups ------------- 1 1/2
Milk 1 cup ------------------1/2
Suet 1 cup ------------------- 1/2
Baking Powder 1/4 cup (ie 4 table spoons) ----------------- 2 table spoons
Salt 1 teaspoon ----------------------1/2 tsp
Sugar 1tsp ----------------------1 tsp

I find this very confusing! Also I find Saffys bannock too sweet for my taste....

Can one of the Chefs comment on this - how can identicle proportions apear so different? Are there different sizes of table spoons (EU, UK, US, decimal, imperial, philips head, plain and coloured)?
I need answers and I need them now D*mmit!
John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna said:
The recipe I gave seems identical in cup proportions to the one submitted by Saffy except Saffy has twice the sugar - yet folk are saying that the proportions make more sense....?

My recipe ----------- Saffys

SR flour 3 cups ------------- 1 1/2
WM flour 3 cups ------------- 1 1/2
Milk 1 cup ------------------1/2
Suet 1 cup ------------------- 1/2
Baking Powder 1/4 cup (ie 4 table spoons) ----------------- 2 table spoons
Salt 1 teaspoon ----------------------1/2 tsp
Sugar 1tsp ----------------------1 tsp

I find this very confusing! Also I find Saffys bannock too sweet for my taste....

Can one of the Chefs comment on this - how can identicle proportions apear so different? Are there different sizes of table spoons (EU, UK, US, decimal, imperial, philips head, plain and coloured)?
John

Hi John,

Are you happy with your recipe? If you are then don't worry about what other people think, you have graciously offered out your personal recipe, if people want to make untested comments on it then let them if they don't want to try it then its there loss!
So don't worry fella, I'll be trying it at the first opportunity and I'm sure it will taste just fine, especially considering you say it tastes better than your previous one we tested at Gellie!:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
saffy said:
I dunno what I am doing wrong but I have tried the OP's recipe 3 times, 2 twice at home and once in camp and each time resulted is an inedible bannok fit for the trash along with unused mix.

There is an awful bitter metallic after taste which burns to the degree that the tasters (not just me) pallet was left stripped. I assume this is due to the stated quantity of baking powder used, as said I do not know what else I am doing wrong.

Reading on this thread that others have cooked via this recipe and posted their findings as a tasty bannock really irks me :lmao: ... are they heavy smokers with no sense of taste? :confused:

Having experimented with the original recipe and taking advice on recommend baking powder quantities I have come to a recipe I am happy with which produces something tasty and edible for me (Although I am still playing with quantities). As long as the dough is not kneaded to death the quantities I have stated produce 4 of 8inch diameter by a risen 1.25 inch thick cooked bannocks, one of which is more than enough for a mans meal.

12 oz (cup n half) self raising flour
12 oz (cup n half) wholemeal plain flour
4 oz (half cup) dried skimmed milk
4 oz (half cup) vegetable suet
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaped teaspoon unrefined sugar

Optional: Add 2 oz of dried fruit, nut or seeds to the mix. My current favourite is palmful of torn dates and sunflower seeds.

You are obviously not a very good cook are you!!:lmao:

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
John Fenna said:
The recipe I gave seems identical in cup proportions to the one submitted by Saffy
John
So they are! Which makes me think I made a mistake so I went investigating....
Sorry, my bad, I have dug out from the bin the piece of paper with the list of ingredients I transcribed from the forum and used those 3 times. Had written down 1/2 cup of baking powder so explains the overdose effects. The fact my experimental "corrections" came exactly into line with yours is to some credit :)

Sweettooth, so I kinda like it sweet and a lot sweetness is from the stoned dates, I used brown sugar. But the amount of sugar stated is an overthrow from trying to counteract 1/2 cup of baking powder :lmao:

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
British "Cup" measurements -

3 teaspoons 1 tablespoon 1/2 ounce 14.3 grams
2 tablespoons 1/8 cup 1 ounce 28.3 grams
4 tablespoons 1/4 cup 2 ounces 56.7 grams
5 1/3 tablespoons 1/3 cup 2.6 ounces 75.6 grams
8 tablespoons 1/2 cup 4 ounces 113.4 grams
12 tablespoons 3/4 cup 6 ounces .375 pound
32 tablespoons 2 cups 16 ounces 1 pound

Generally accepted that baking powder be used @ ratio of 1 teaspoon to 5 ounces of flour.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
John Fenna said:
John, I hadn't noticed that Saffy had cut the ingredient proportions to yours down by half, i was only focusing on the baking powder element, which to me seemed excessive in yours. Taking into account that there is already BP added to the self raising flour which negates any extra needing adding, therefore if we take your recipe of three cups Wholemeal flour - 24 ounces, 1 teaspoon BP per 5 ounces of flour = 5 teaspoon of BP or rounded up to 2 tablespoons = 1/8th of a cup of baking powder is required.

As i said, your recipe is untried to me though, something that i will try to rectify in the near future and maybe then i will be able to feed back more accurately any comments.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
AAAAAAARgh!
Even more confused!
My book (on close examination) says are two different values for a CUP 8 oz or 10oz! And a US tablespoon is a UK desert spoon......
I want to lie down in a dark room now ...please...
But I still like my bannock!

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
John Fenna said:
AAAAAAARgh!
Even more confused!
My book (on close examination) says are two different values for a CUP 8 oz or 10oz! And a US tablespoon is a UK desert spoon......
John, if it works for you fella it works for you, that's all that really matters. I must confess to be out of my depth when it comes to chemistry, "ordinary" cooking i excell at but chemistry (baking) takes work.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Better half used a set of cooks measures to make up batch - no idea if US or Brit sized.

But as noted, turned out nicely.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Just re-tried John Fenna's bannock and found it brilliant.
So good in fact that I added sugar, sunflower seeds and rasins Yummy:naughty:

My previous attempt though, I may have used baking soda rather than powder, which would account for the near chemical burns in the mouth.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
AAAAAAARgh!
Even more confused!
Does it matter? as the recipe defines the RATIO of ingredients, as long as you use the same cup to measure everything, the ratio will be the same, no? I tend to measure bannock ingredients using number of spoons, and as long as i use the same spoon it works. as for the two 'spoon' quantities in your recipe, I tend to put the salt and baking powder in 'by eye' anyhow :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I tried your recipe today and to be honest not very happy! Oh it tastes absolutely great, in fact the best ever, but the weather was absolutely lousy and my brother and his wife and 2 kids came up for a visit, so I stuck up a tarp over the clothes line and fired up the BBQ thinking sausages, beans, and bannock for afternoon fun with the kids. Made up a good sized slab in a biscuit tin and when it was ready the wife cut it up and poured over some maple syrup, I grabbed a bit about 2" x 2" to munch whilst doing some bangers, next thing turned round and it was all gone and everybody sitting looking at me to see if there was any more, not a crumb left, in fact my little nephew was licking the plate, even the dog did'nt get a look in. Moral of the story don't make something really tasty unless your gonna sit down and eat it when there are 4 gannets behind you. LOL! Seriously tasty mate thanks for the recipe.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Breakfast tomorrow, although it will be cooked at home, will consist of strong coffee with a Hoodoo inspired Scruff bannock, packed with cheese and bacon! Let's try for our first heart attack of the day eh?

:D

It's breakfast in bed for 'er Madge too, she desreves it now and then what with having to put up with me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE