bannock my way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just been up the woods harvesting some Blackberry brambles for some basket weaving and had my lunch up there – bannock and coffee.
I thought I would post up the entire process for fun.

First of all I had my bannock mix with me

3 cups self raising flour
3 cups wholemeal flour – plain
1 cup skimmed milk powder
1 cup vegetable suet
¼ cup baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

and I mixed this with water on site after stirring the bannock mix to get air through it to lighten the mix. I mix with a spoon and I oil my hands to stop it sticking to me when I do the final kneading
While I was mixing the bannock I also got the fire going.
As the day was wet and blustery I used a twig bundle fire with lots of tinder to get it going.
The twigs were mainly birch – brought down in the latest high winds – beech and pine.
The tinder was dry grass and birchbark – locally sourced and a bit damp!
I used a home made, antler mounted steel , flint and home made charcloth (Tesco tea towel! – I love setting fire to anything to do with Tesco!)
As the fire burned down to embers – I used split dry Ash as my main wood – I rigged my 3 hinge trivet (details in my book ) put the Welsh bakestone on to heat up and prepared my Crusade cup with a home made lid to boil water for my coffee (only instant I am afraid…)
The bannock mix was beaten to about ½ inch thick and placed on the preheated bakestone – a traditional Welsh cooking aid of cast iron…heavy but worth the carry for short trips!
As the bannock cooked it was rotated and flipped a couple of times to keep the cooking even and when it was almost done I got the coffee on.
Result – a great but simple lunch that was quick and easy !
DSCF5466.jpg

DSCF5468.jpg

DSCF5469.jpg

DSCF5471.jpg

DSCF5473.jpg

DSCF5474.jpg

DSCF5475.jpg

DSCF5476.jpg

DSCF5477.jpg

DSCF5478.jpg

DSCF5479.jpg

DSCF5480.jpg
DSCF5481.jpg
DSCF5482.jpg

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5485.jpg

DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5488.jpg

DSCF5490.jpg

DSCF5492.jpg

DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5495.jpg

DSCF5496.jpg

DSCF5500.jpg

DSCF5507.jpg

I then went and harvested the brambles….

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
John, its great to see someone else taking a bakestone on a trip. I did it once and got so much stick from those along with me.

Liking that bowl a lot too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The bowl was a charity shop find and is now my constant companion :)
The rest I made myself (cept the Crusader mug!) I inherited the bakestone from my father but they still sell new ones around here and I got one for Mesquite a while back - real cooks use real cooking tools!:D

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Great write up, cheers, Still not mastered Bannock, really need to try harder me thinks.

Love your ethos of burning anything to do with Tesco! I totally agree.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And I've got tomorrow off, hmmm I can feel a plan coming on :)
I was thre as a patient ...various tests going on - bloods, x-rays, looking at MRIs or "exploratory surgery" - various probs cropping up as I get older :(
The woods is much more fun!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you got thyroid probs as well?
For me it is thyroid (?) and my knees!
and my kidney stone problem - still!

Yep, hyperthyroidism. Finally got diagnosed about a month ago, first referral at the hospital today so looking forward to getting on the mend at last. Must have lost a stone and a half since May.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yep, hyperthyroidism. Finally got diagnosed about a month ago, first referral at the hospital today so looking forward to getting on the mend at last. Must have lost a stone and a half since May.
I am not losing the weight - but I could use losing some - but have lost control of my thermoregulation ...I get terrific sweats, anxiety attacks, unable to relax (boy have I been getting a load of stuff done - I have completed the BCUSA Bushclass Basic course - twice!) poor sleeping, overactive guts etc etc so theyt are thinking hyperthyroid with me as well - good luck - the treatment sounds as bad as the problem!
Strangely I have been hearing a lot about thyroid probs (hypo and hyper) recently...is it something in the water these days or my years of using iodine water purification?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks for sharing john /shewie if you like shewie you can have one and a half stone off me lol seriously though i hope both of you are on the mend soon it seems we are all of us sharing the same problems it must be something to do with an active lifestyle in our youth that we pay for as we get older regards dave:lmao:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Interesting bannock mix John, I put less flour to milk powder ratio than you, three flower to one milk powder.
I'll try yours next time.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The bowl was a charity shop find and is now my constant companion :)
The rest I made myself (cept the Crusader mug!) I inherited the bakestone from my father but they still sell new ones around here and I got one for Mesquite a while back - real cooks use real cooking tools!:D

Yup... it's a great bit of kit.

I've not used it much more than for baking pizzas but I shall be using it more over time :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting bannock mix John, I put less flour to milk powder ratio than you, three flower to one milk powder.
I'll try yours next time.
Sometimes I add dried egg as well - a couple of tablespoons - and fruit/nuts/seeds ...it all makes it very tasty!

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
My only thought is that despite half the flour being self-raising and the fairly large quantity of added baking powder is that the bannock doesn't appear to have risen much. What was the texture like once it was cooked?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE