Bannock Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Use lots of flour to prevent the bread sticking to your pots (and anything else). :)

Thanks for getng back me.
Like I say Im good with stuff like that as Iv had plenty of goes at home using a coker and oven etc.
WhatI meant, and its my fault I should have been a bit more specific, is how you guys cook it in the field?
I mean do you do exactly the same thing as in use a fry pan, or do you fashion some sort of oven out of foil or simply put it on a board in front of a fire?
Cheers
Steve

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...how you guys cook it in the field?
I mean do you do exactly the same thing as in use a fry pan, or do you fashion some sort of oven out of foil or simply put it on a board in front of a fire?.."

I think in one of those Ray Mears Tracks links he uses an upside down cooking pot, put the bread in the lid, put pot on top of lid, place in embers, maybe put some embers on top (line the lid with flour to prevent sticking).

I have managed a few times to make a scone sized loaf in a crusader cup with a lid, lay it into the embers on its side with the handles upwards.

:)

Edited to add:

Obviously you could fashion a makeshift wooden chopping board from bits of fallen tree branch and such, however I would recommend the Ikea 'DRÄLLA' chopping board (£2 for two) which is made of light bendy plastic, take a pair of tough scissors to it and cut into smaller pieces, you should be able to make a small rectangle which will roll up into your billy can, I find these invaluable for preparing foodstuffs when I'm out and about.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE