Bacon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Yep, I've dry cured but not brine cured. To be honest there's a bit too much info to put here and I've only done it once, so I'm no expert. In the same sort of line, I've also made homecured corned beef, sausages and blackpuddings. That said, if you've a specific question I'll try to answer it or will probably know someone who can.

Have a search at http://forum.rivercottage.net (probably the best place to look) and http://www.sausagemaking.org. Franco (sausagemaking.org) can supply salt petre which is preferable to use to both keep the nice pink colour (it goes a rather unappealing grey otherwise) and prevent botulism. If you just want a tsp or two to have a bash, drop me a PM and I'll send it you.

You could also have a look at the River Cottage Meat Book, but IMO HFW's brines and cures use too much salt.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hunter_zero said:
Yup and sausages.

I have a sausage stuffing machine for sale as well if your interested.

John
~

Which stuffer is it? do you have any pics? and how much you want for it? I have a friend thinking about starting, he could possibly be tempted!

Best Regards,

:)

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Little bit off subject, but concerning bacon. If you cook it before you go out camping etc.it will keep for 4 days or so, in a zip loc bag. Just throw it in a pan and heat it, or put it in your stew etc. Never made bacon, but have been bought a sausage making machine recently, which i want to get to grips with soon, Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
kram245 said:
Little bit off subject, but concerning bacon. If you cook it before you go out camping etc.it will keep for 4 days or so, in a zip loc bag. Just throw it in a pan and heat it, or put it in your stew etc. Never made bacon, but have been bought a sausage making machine recently, which i want to get to grips with soon, Mark

The vacuum packed (not the gassed flushed trays) will last as well in your pack, but I want REAL bacon, not the stuff that pumps out muck as you fry it

Thanks for the tips, its homemade for me shortly, more to follow :)

PS, I have bacon and butterbean soup craving in my head just now, strange :rolleyes:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pipistrelle said:
Have glouster old spot/duroc cross, gammon, bacon, and ham hocks in the freezer, from our pigs mmmmmmmmmmm!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAGHHHHH! Drool drool drool!!!!
Bacon with fried up with amethyst deceiver mushrooms, one of the best camp dinners I have ever had. It is one of the those combinations that really set each other off. With home produced bacon must be mind blowing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE