Backyard Dutch Ovening last night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Don't ask why but I decided to cook my dinner outside last night and these pics are the result.

Dutch1.jpg

Here is my hybrid Dutch oven it is an Aldi or Lidl aluminium Dutch oven that I replace its glass lid with a 10" cast iron rimed one that I also us with a matching 10" cast iron frying pan.

I started my browning some shallots, just over 1/2 lb of floured stewing beef, just under 1/2 lb of floured pigs kidney's.

Next added water a couple of beef stock cubes, a good tea spoon of smoked paprika, salt and pepper, a couple of sprigs of rosemary and three lightly bashed cloves of garlic.

After an hour or so simmering I added a handful of dried chestnut mushrooms and added a suet pastry hat.

Dutch2.jpg

Back on with the lid and pile on the hot coals

Dutch3.jpg

O' this is my homemade lid lifter.

Dutch4.jpg

And here it is after a further 30 to 40 mins.

Dutch5.jpg

I would have liked to have browned it off more but it started to rain and I did not what to risk my lid cracking and it did look and taste a lot better that it looks as in the rush to take the picture before the heavens really open I flopped the crust over and thus getting gravy all over it. Also the mizzle was really getting bad by now.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Why do things taste better the second time around?
I find that lasagna stew etc always taste better the next day!!!
Those pics are making me hungry..D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE