Backpacker Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It is real leavened (yeasted) bread. I use Allinson's Easy Bake yeast because it goes in dry and once the dough has risen, it is ready to bake, ie. it doesn't need knocking back. I also use dough improver as I think it does what it says.
I used quarter quantities of my regular bread mix for the Clas Ohlsen trial

My regular bread recipe...

500g strong white flour
2tsp Easy Bake yeast
1tsp sugar
½tsp salt
1tsp dough improver
1tbsp oil
300ml lukewarm water (200ml cold +100ml boiling)

Put the flour, yeast, sugar & salt in a bowl. Mix with a whisk; this mixes everything well & breaks up any lumps.
Add the oil and stir it in with a table knife.
Add half the water and mix it in with the table knife.
When it looks (after a couple of minutes mixing) like it doesn't have enough water, add the rest and keep mixing, working it round the bowl to pick up all the bits.
Keep at it and it will change, as if by magic, from a claggy lump into a smooth, springy ball of dough.
When it does, pick it up and knead it for 5 - 10 minutes; pulling, rolling, squeezing and generally squidging it about. Put it back in the bowl whilst you grease and flour your pan. Don't be too heavy handed with the fat or oil but use plenty of flour to dust the pan. More is better than less. It doesn't matter if there's a bit of excess flour in the bottom of the pan.
Shape the dough so it fits nicely and put it in the pan. Cover it and leave it for an hour or until it has doubled in size
Bake at 180°C for about 25mins or until it smells like bread and is brown on top, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool If you like a soft crust, brush the loaf with water as soon as you've turned it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the trial dough had risen I put the smaller pan with the dough, inside the larger pan and separated them with a simple trivet (the cross shaped thing). I had the gas burner on the lowest it would stay lit. Put the pans in the windshield, the frypan/lid on top and left it for half an hour then turned it out and put the 'loaf' in upside down to brown the top for another 15 mins. I think that I will dispense with the trivet next time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE