Backpack field repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Hi all,
I have a Bach Slim Mac backpack. It can handle 30 kilo's. I will
indeed start my next trip with 30 kilo's (two weeks food inside).

My question: can a shoulder strap be fixed in the field if it breaks?
I mean if it breaks at the stiching? I suppose it can, but what kind
of thread do I need for that? Can anyone tell me please?
thanks in advance!
Lush

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I pack just a simple sewing thread - Dreema, Gutermans etc. Some folk use dental floss or 550 paracord innards.
Lots of stitching makes a strong seam. Use a strong needle...

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
Did it during a trip to the states. Part of the stitching of the shoulder strap ... stich a lot and it should hold again. Afterwards I went to a local shoemaker to have it properly stitched.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Dental floss and some strong needles, also duct tape and a bit of plastic coated wire can be handy for short term stuff and takes up very little room...

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
ok thanks. So there isn't some specific thread that is ultra strong and must be used
for a backpack repair. I will then probably use the dyneema braided fishing line I
alway's have on me for sewing purposes. Pretty thin and still very strong. Yeah, I
will bring a strong needle...

rg598

Native
Well, first things first, if your backpack has a line of stitching at the shoulder strap where the strap can rip off, it is not a particularly great pack design. It is virtually impossible with a modern pack as the strap system extends down significantly. That being said, if you need a pack repair along those lines, I would use artificial sinew. It is extremely strong. Braided fishing line will work as well. The pliers on a small multi tool are very useful to pull the needle through. Most packs use cotton or nylon thread in the stitching.

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
Bonded Nylon thread is generally the stuff used in most packs.
There are Mil spec versions. Plenty to choose from on
ebay. There are different thicknesses, like 20s,40s and 60s bonded nylon.
Lower the number the thicker the thread.
I use 60s for stiching 1000D cordura nylon, its about 0.15mm thick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE