Back pack with belt or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2011
East Grinstead
Hi people.
Very much enjoyed reading through the forum.
Planning to get more out and about this year, further than a short walk from the car so been looking for a backpack.
Just wanted advice on why some packs have belts and some not. For load bearing I'm sure. Would it be necessary is my question if I'm lugging it for a few hours each way, max?
Am considering one with option for inbuilt hydration so I don't have to take water separately, and so added weight there.
Also, as my son is becoming very keen on camping/outdoors I will end up carrying the bulk of the gear for both of us.
So, there may be a fair weight to carry.
Want to avoid if possible buying something without belt, then regretting it.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

E

ex member coconino

Belt for sure. A rucksack is best carried high on your back with a tight belt on the hips taking most of the weight into your pelvis and down your legs. You don't want all the weight on your back, think of your spine!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
i agree with the previous posts...you'll never realise how comfy a rucksackn is with the belts until you have one. It makes a world of difference!! I managed to modify my small 35ltr rucksack to incorporate a hydration bladder, but I use that for "trekking" only. If im planning an overnighter, or somewhere where i want to "cook up" its worth taking a seperate water source (i.e canteen, bottle etc)...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Absolutely positively yes to a hip belt

But even more importantly make sure it fits your height/build ie it sits on your hips as previously said

I regularly hike with camping gear and if you are doing more than a few miles you will notice the difference very quickly indeed
Now as for sternum straps; if climbing and very rough terrain or throwing yourself around etc I can obviously see the point; but I rarely use mine; as at 50 I have given up all that rolling around wearing a pack malarkey
I have enough trouble carrying my own gear never mind someone else s

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try to get around 65% of the weight just above the hips if possible. If it's just a day sack and you're not carrying much more than 5kg then a waist belt isn't really necessary.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hip belt all the way , if your pack is light on an occasion you can allways clip the belt around the back of the pack ,

nenook

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE