Back on the water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Trunks

The canoe is a 15ft Mad River Reflection, the sail is a Solway Dory 44 sq ft Bermudan, check out the web site SolwayDory

Thanks, they look great :) how do they handle compared to a "normal" boat? Is stability an issue? Can you still paddle comfortably with the mast & sail stowed? Soo many questions!

This is the boat I usually sail :)

4919656254_e1623b4493_z.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Aye, another great wee trip.

Watching Rich learn to use a sling in twilight(where the rock just disappeared and until it hit the water he'd crouch down and cover his head) is a sight that'll stay with me for many moons. :lmao:

....loved that kayak/sailboat ,,,,Mmmmm.

Dreamy isn't she? A MacGregor Sailing Canoe, modern take on an old design(plywood and epoxy lapstrake). There's something "just right" about it's lines that draws comments everywhere you stop.
Stephen has a full length one in the making(that's the solo version I have - a foot and a half shorter) and I'd like to try my hand at building one as well(had considered a skin-on-frame version but after a few more barnacle hits at the weekend I'm back to ply build thinking again).

Is stability an issue?

Have their moments! ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
Thanks, they look great :) how do they handle compared to a "normal" boat? Is stability an issue? Can you still paddle comfortably with the mast & sail stowed? Soo many questions!.........

Lol, Ok a few answers, they handle very well, you use your body weight to trim and level the boat, on Ullswater I was in convoy with various sized sailing cruisers, and dinghy's, and kept with them no problem.

Yes stability is an issue, just after that photo was taken of me I went out towards the middle of the loch to look for Stuart and a gust caught me at the wrong moment, before I could release the sheet the boat had heeled enough for the thwart to be under water !, I normally have outriggers fitted, guess what I fitted when I got back to shore?

The sail wraps around the mast, that's also hows its reefed, once I drop the boom into the boat its easy to paddle, I have a double bladed kayak paddle, which is long enough.

That's a lovely boat, Sloop? you have there, and is it a Gunter rig?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Beautiful pics Shewie, thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate

Great pics Rich, looks like a great weekend i missed again.

It's a shame you couldn't make it buddy, next time though

Aye, another great wee trip.

Watching Rich learn to use a sling in twilight(where the rock just disappeared and until it hit the water he'd crouch down and cover his head) is a sight that'll stay with me for many moons. :lmao:

And me, if it wasn't for the couple that actually landed behind me I would've liked to have carried on for a while longer. I need to work on my technique next time we're out, maybe with a bag of marshmallows :)

Glad you had a good trip chaps, I was thinking of you. No sightings of the whale then?

Hello mate, shame you couldn't make it, I was looking forward to seeing your new boat. Have there been whale sightings lately?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
With the sidedecks and combing on the MacGregor you get a bit more lean before taking on water. The wind is starting to spill over the top of even a still-full sail at around the same time as the water is getting close to the edge.
Still bloody unnerving though. When big gusts hit I still have visions of it just slapping the boat onto it's side.

That was my first real run with the jib and although it needs a few tweaks(and I need more practice using it) I'm happy with the way it feels. Adds some more area without shifting the centre of effort up. Didn't feel any more tippy than with the main alone.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
That's a lovely boat, Sloop? you have there, and is it a Gunter rig?

Blimey charlie! You're good :)

It's a traditional Norfolk Broads boat - A 36ft gunter sloop

I wish it were mine mate, we just charter it every year for a weeks playing :)

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Good ti here , the reason i asked , we were up Loch Katrine last week and we went of the path down to the loch side and we got 6 ticks on us in the space of 5 minutes ,,, horrible ,, that place is crawling with them ...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good ti here , the reason i asked , we were up Loch Katrine last week and we went of the path down to the loch side and we got 6 ticks on us in the space of 5 minutes ,,, horrible ,, that place is crawling with them ...

That sounds nasty Gaz, I've only been round there in the winter months.

Did you say the other day that you'd cycled all the way round recently? Where do you go at the Ben Venue end?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE