Back from our cabin - some Woodlore/OSF comparision notes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Back from the trip to our cabin in Austria. I took my new OSF, the Woodlore and my Eklund knife to get a feel of the differences and similarities. With 2 small children there are other entertainment priorities, but I did get to use the knives on several small projects. I made several pictures, but had problems with a faulty memory stick, so I lost a couple of shots.

I always like to carry a fixed blade when I am there. One simple reason is that the line of kitchen knives we have over there are all very cheap and blunt. My family rents out the cabin and we have found that more expensive household stuff will get damaged some way or another over the years. I used the Eklund in the kitchen for most of the time. The OSF and Woodlore did get some kitchen time, but cutting meat and vegetables would not tell me much about the edge, beyond that they would both do that well.

osf_woodlore_eklund.jpg

TASKS
For the comparison, I used both the Woodlore and the OSF for cutting notches in several pieces of dead mountain ash for a fireboard project and cutting drills. Furthermore, I made 4 of figure-4 traps and several promontory pegs for my 'trap line'. (pictures lost). And finally, I split a mountain ash log with my SFA and made a couple of feathersticks with both knives. Both got about the same workload. The used wood (mountain -ash, -cherry, -rose) was pretty dense.

woodlore_feathersticks.jpg

SHARPENING
Both knives where flat sharpened before use on my flat stropping board before the initial use. I use a wooden board that has 500 grit, saturated wet& dry paper taped on one side (on a cardboard layer) and chrome-polish saturated leather taped on the other side.

The higher grind on the OSF makes this knife even easier to sharpen than the Woodlore.

EDGE HOLDING
Before reprofiling I got slight edge rolling on the OSF, where the Woodlore still shaved hair. My initial fears that the 1/2 grind on the OSF would be too thin seemed to be correct. I think that each new knife has a 'breaking in' period in which you further fine hone and polish the standard edge. I proceeded with my stropping board and put a slight convex on the knife. This made the edge strength on par with the Woodlore. Still, it took me two weeks of use before my confidence in the OSF grind was back. Overall, after the initial convexing of the OSF, both knives did great.

I made another firebow set later on and after that, the OSF still shaved:
osf_firebow.jpg

osf_feathersticks.jpg

HANDLING THE KNIVES
As the picture shows, the handle on the OSF is larger that the Woodlore. I specified a handle to Jamie that went as far as possible towards the edge. This also allows to apply far more control in detail work. The handle proved to be large enough and more comfortable than the Woodlore for my hands. They are still a bit on the thin side. I have an OSF blank to finish and the maple has arrived for that, so I will try to make that 'perfect' fit myself.

osfwoodlore.jpg

The slabs on the Woodlore are a bit short for my taste and I am thinking about rehandling the knife (blasphemy?) later this year. I never understood why Ray Mears never specified that when designing this knife. So much control can be won with this simple configuration.

While the scales on the Woodlore did not look so nice as the stabilized redwood burl, I found them -as handle material- to be better, even stickier than the Redwood burl. The stabilized scales feel very solid, almost like an artficial material. This is just a comment from someone who is fortunate enough to have them both. They are both excellent choices, so this is just nitpicking.

CUTTING
The half grind on the OSF -when convexed- is the more comfortable cutter. Looking at the grind, this is no surprise. When using the knife, I came to understand why the Finnish people are so fond of their huge flat grinds with that tiny secondary bevel. To me, the OSF more resembles a full tang, drop point Jukka Hankala knife than a Woodlore. It would be interesting to compare them. For woodworking, the knife balances and slices exceptionally.

The Woodlore has a charm of its own. It is a bit more crude, but the flat grind will bite into the wood very well. I really like the wide to length ratio of the blade and the overall balance of this knife. It looks and feels like a solid workhorse.

Regarding the points, The OSF has a thinner point. But I found that the point proved to be sturdy enough to cut out drill-points into the fireboard (my only prying task). The Woodlore point performs well enough for that, but it also requires a bit more force. The Woodlores point sure looks if you could throw more abuse to it. For prying wood apart -leaning to abuse- the Woodlore would be a better knife.

SHEATHS
The OSF sheath is of excellent quality and fit. I noticed however that I do not like the high carry. You constantly feel the presence of the knife and as a result, I ended up carrying the Woodlore more than the OSF. For my other OSF blade I will make a sheath that resembles the Woodlores.

The Woodlore sheath is of a thinner leather stock, but holds the knife very well - the knife 'snaps' into it. How well it stays that way will only time tell.

osf_woodlore_sheaths.jpg

CONCLUSION
Both knives are excellent for bushcraft-related tasks. I liked the OSF a bit more due to the higher grind and the more comfortable handle. The convexing of the OSF gave the edge just a bit more strength and it did not result in much performance loss. As a result, both knives 'bite' into the wood at about the same angle, but the thinner stock behind the OSF edge makes it a great slicer. This is noticable when cutting those notches in fireboards and slicing feathersticks. The OSF needs a better sheath however.

-Emile

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Top class mate :biggthump

Great review there Emile, what is an OSF? (i think i have heard of it before but have forgotten!) And where can you get them? :roll:

Cheers,

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Great review there Emile, what is an OSF? (i think i have heard of it before but have forgotten!) And where can you get them?

The OSF knife was a joint design effort over on the Outdoor Survival Forum section at www.knifeforums.com. Basically, the aim was a full tang scandi with Mora knife cutting abilities. There was a struggle with a certain knifemaker which resulted in the birth of a new forum. The members that participated in the design moved over. That forum is by invitation only and is owned by Hoodoo who is also active here.

The knife blank is made by Nick Wheeler -an american bladesmith- and finished by two another members - they do the handles and sheaths . I waited about a year for my OSF and -as I wrote- have another blank that I will finish with Maple scales.

Nick Wheeler is currently thinking about starting a new line - the Wheeler Woods knife, which will be approx. this model. Ordering the OSF model should also still be possible. The model I have is ground O1, member Schwert has a great forged one that looks spectaculair.

-Emile

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Very interesting review. It's good to hear that the Woodlore has some cons afterall. :biggthump Top review.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Great review ,i'd be interested to hear more about the Eklund blade and how it compares to the other two ,is it stainless or carbon?
How does the OSF balance (with a tapered tang) compare to the Woodlore?
I have an Alan Wood -BB Bushcrafter with a tapered tang and compared to my WS woodlore it's balance is much better.
Im still waiting for my OSF knife and a full tang carbon blade from Maihkel Eklund.

rb

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
RB your getting as bad as Hoodoo. You sure you need all those knives. My offer the give the bushcrafter a loving home still stands :wink:

The OSF looks a lovely knife. When my woodlore finally gets here i might comsider having it rehandled in a more attractive wood.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Emile,

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Just out of interest, how is the handle of your Eklund holding up? I notice it's Snakewood and there's a bit of a discussion about it developing checks.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Wayne said:
RB your getting as bad as Hoodoo. You sure you need all those knives.
You have no idea ,i just did a very quick sum and of the top of my head i can think of at least 50 knives i've bought this year and if i looked around there would be quite a few more :yikes:

rb

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Brilliant appraisal Emile,Both are very worthy knives and I'd be delighted with either. Must say that I think OSF is prettiest of the two.

Rapidboy,how many? :yikes:
bet the bushcrafter and woodlore are the only ones you use :super:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Most are just for my collection but I carry the Woodlore and the Bushcrafter week about with a SAK and a Kershaw Blackout.
I have been trying out the Glock "survival knife" this weekend but im not that impressed as it's basically a bayonet with a saw back and a bottle opener.
The North Star's should be here soon and the new Alan Blade Packpal's shouldn't be far behind!
I really think the Woodlore is a great knife but with a tapered tang it would really come alive and that's why im looking forward to my ODS knife so much.
I had thought about asking Alan Wood to make me one with a tapered tang but that will have to wait for now.
The main problem with my WS Woodlore is the sheath ,it's slightly longer than necessary and the end curls over.
The lack of a firesteel holder is just unforgivable and the belt loop should be like the one the Bushcrafter sheath so it lets the sheath move when you sit down.
Im hoping my ODS will be pretty close to my perfect knife.

rb

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
rapidboy said:
Great review ,i'd be interested to hear more about the Eklund blade and how it compares to the other two ,is it stainless or carbon?
How does the OSF balance (with a tapered tang) compare to the Woodlore?
I have an Alan Wood -BB Bushcrafter with a tapered tang and compared to my WS woodlore it's balance is much better.
Im still waiting for my OSF knife and a full tang carbon blade from Maihkel Eklund.

rb

The Eklund blade is UHB20C carbon steel and it holds a great edge. I very much like the Eklund blade and it had been my primay bushcraft blade the last year. This one is slightly hollow ground and has a zero edge. That might sound as if it is weak, but to my surprise it holds up great. Eklund really knows how to heat treat his blades. That blade was the 3rth Eklund I finished.

My only wishes in this blade are a flat grind and the removal of that irritating edge notch at the beginning of the edge. I am sure that he could do that when asked.

The Woodlore is a bit more tip heavy than my OSF. Each OSF balances different because of different handle material and length. I like the balance more to the back in carving knives. My OSF has no tapered tang, however. For exact balancing points I would have to check the knives.

Just out of interest, how is the handle of your Eklund holding up? I notice it's Snakewood and there's a bit of a discussion about it developing checks.

I fitted a lot of knives with snakewood last year. (I got a large plate of it chreap) It is a bugger to work with and it will crack when you put too much stress on it while fitting the scales. But once you are past that stage and have epoxied and finished the handles, it will be a great handle material. I always curse it until I see the end result. It looks and feels great and when your hands are wet, it is not slippery. Oh, and when you grind it, your whole workplace smells like coconuts. :wink:

I think I know were this comes from. As the Bark River Northstar production pictures show - they clamp the handles in the epoxy process with 3 clamps. If you apply too much pressure on one clamp or the holes are not perfectly aligned (causing stress), you risk breaking the wood. Happened to me too.

I beat the hell out of my snakewood Eklund with batoning tasks on the spine. I have had no problems with handle-cracks.

-Emile

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
rapidboy said:
Most are just for my collection but I carry the Woodlore and the Bushcrafter week about with a SAK and a Kershaw Blackout.
I have been trying out the Glock "survival knife" this weekend but im not that impressed as it's basically a bayonet with a saw back and a bottle opener.
Yes. That knife is :censored:, I have it myself. The saw could be better and the steel is too soft. But it is proven to break thick glass without breaking the tip and breaking up things, very efficiently! I can't get an edge on it. :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE