Axe & Spoon & Fail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I get this nice little Swedish hatchet , red paint and varnish and a loose handle , I take the time to scrape it down just to have it crack when I try and remove it from the head :(

100_2549.JPG

I have an abundance of birch and since this is only for a learning experience I decided to give it a go and this is what I ended up with .

100_2554.JPG

No good if it can't carve

100_2556.JPG

Fail , Fail , Fail .
Even though the handle was more substantial than the original , I made it with a rounded shape so everytime you go to chop with it the blade wants to twist out and the handle rotates in your hand so I had to drill the head and start again .

100_2557.JPG

Wider this time so it doesn't rotate .

100_2560.JPG

I remember reading somewhere Robin saying that he mainly left his tool handles rough but fully usable , now I know why LOL

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for the kind words but I still have a long ways to go to catch up on the skills with a lot of the posters here and I'm sure the handle lesson has been talked about before but I'll not forget it .

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice to know other people have fails and don't mind posting them up.
On one of my axe heads I have made 3 handles, now I am satisfied with it, as you say rounded and shallow are no good as the axe rotates when working.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I'd say that's a fine result!

Done it before haven't you ;)

First time for a handle other than a spoon handle .

Nice to know other people have fails and don't mind posting them up.
On one of my axe heads I have made 3 handles, now I am satisfied with it, as you say rounded and shallow are no good as the axe rotates when working.

Funny you mention 3 tries , even though it's longer and bigger than the original , I think it needs to be longer to balance a little better ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE