Axe in the lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
As my date for camping in the lake district draws nearer, I'm wondering about my packing.

In the interest of weight, is an axe not necessary? I would like to make a small, inconspicous fire where possible, but I am not sure whether I will be likely to find small enough bits of firewood such that I do not need an axe. The axe I would take, if necessary, would be a small, rubber handled, 760g job (I have made a protective leather bit).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I guess it probably depends on how far you plan to walk, all these grams add up and what seems manageable at home will drag you down 20k into your journey. If you are carrying too much weight then you will spend an afternoon with your eyes fixed on the ground four feet ahead of you, a lighter pack will allow you to get more from the sights and sounds along the route.

I have a Gransfors Axe which is heavier than yours and I will carry it when I'm out for a couple of days on the estate, but if I'm going to do any serious walking I'll stick with my WL knife and folding saw, I have been splitting logs with my knife and a baton for nearly five years and the knife handle shows no sign of damage.

To quote Samuel Johnson

"We found in the course of our journey the convenience of having
disencumbered ourselves, by laying aside whatever we could spare; for
it is not to be imagined without experience, how in climbing crags and
treading bogs, and winding through narrow and obstructed passages, a
little bulk will hinder, and a little weight will burden; or how often a man that
has pleased himself at home with his own resolution, will, in the hour of
darkness and fatigue, be content to leave behind him everything but
himself."

"I have been splitting logs with my knife and a baton for nearly five years and the knife handle shows no sign of damage"....the Frosts knife you bought at the spring meet is NOT full tang, so avoid striking the handle with a baton as I have seen several handles broken in this way :( That said, I personally would use my knife and a baton (just make sure you only strike the back of you blade) :D

With reference to having a fire....some lads camped on one of our reserves this week and their fire burnt a large area when it got out of control :( SO BE CAREFUL and at least try to get permission from the land owner before you light one ;) You are welcomed to borrow one of my wood burning stoves if thats any help :)

Having said all that.....enjoy your trip mate :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I will be going up to the Lakes in August with another member. Between us we will have one saw and one Gransfors Mini. I suspect that for most of the time the axe is going to be nothing but weight since cooking plans revolver around alcohol stoves. I just weighed it and it comes to 13.5oz, 380g. For hiking thats all I want to haul. I own a Small Forest and fantastic tool though it is there is no way I would bother taking that. I am only taking the Mini because it is so small.

How practiced are you with your axe? Have you worked out how to split wood without a stump to chop into, or to acurately split small rounds? How is your travel partner's first aid skills? If you are a long way from aid, using a sharp and unfamiliar tool might not be so wise, given a choice?

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Which part of the Lakes you're going to? Here in Keswick it's been fairly dry for about a week now with just light rain But a friend of mine was coming back to Keswick from Ambleside on Friday night and some of the roads were awash!
Here's a link to a weather site we use in our Guest House, I've found it to be pretty accurate - http://www.mwis.org.uk/index.php
Just a small thought, as I have an interest in Mountain Rescue (I'm a member of SARDA helping train search dogs) let somebody know your location in case you need our help!
Enjoy the Lakes,

Cheers
Bonzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE