Axe head (Bahco) - able to be fixed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 19, 2013
Belfast
Hey all,

After hearing good things about it I recently bought the Bahco standard axe(this one) with the intention of giving it a new grind, so that it could be used for general camp duties and carving. However, it looks like it might be too far gone to regrind. Although, I am inexperienced and I'd like the opinion of experienced axe users out there as to whether I this can be brought up to par, or if I should just send it back and get another, hoping it is more symmetrical-so it will be easier/possible to fix. Pictures included below. Is it really bad looking? Or is this normal for a new badly ground axe and can be fixed up with some time and effort?

I've included coins at either side to give an idea of how much it is curved, as it's hard to see otherwise. The middle of the blade is touching the mat, apart from the few millimetres of the edge of grind.
2014-01-12043733_zps2cf74d69.jpg

Now laying flat on the other side, you can see its mostly touching the mat the entire edge, apart from the very centre where it l
2014-01-12043812_zps9c100567.jpg

Here is the top view giving a better picture of the grind, it's kind of like a bad chissel grind.
2014-01-12044458_zpsb53858db.jpg

Below you can see that the beard of the axe seems to be bend slightly to the side. I suspect if I were to "fix" it I would have to remove a hell of a lot of metal and shorten the beard in doing so.
2014-01-12044437_zpsd8bcc718.jpg

Jun 19, 2013
Belfast
Cheers guys. I'm going to do as you've all advised. I've contacted the seller and waiting on a reply.

I also asked if they would replace it with one that has been checked (and explained how to check), and decided to be a little cheeky and get them to look for one with good grain direction as well. Might as well try.

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Ah, a left handed axe.

Seriously before ditching it try using it (after a sharpen) lefthanded. or better, let someone naturally lefthanded use it and see how it goes.

You may be surprised.

Jun 19, 2013
Belfast
I don't plan on sharpening it as I plan on returning it. But yes, with the angle of the chisel grind it would bite better into wood coming from the left.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE