Axe handles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Should they be varnished or not - I read that a good canoe paddle shouldn't be varnished, but rather treated with oil, to stop blisters.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
No they shouldn't, just raw linseed oil rubbed in -- once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
When I get hold of axes from boot markets I take the varnish off with with a sharp blade, it comes off real easy using a draw action.
Then very fine sandpaper.
After that what ^ they said.
Mind you, recently I got hold of a few litres of teak oil, I tried it out on two that recently came my way, it absorbs very quickly and seem OK.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It is all down to looks one way or the other. There are more important things to worry about.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Not wrong mate! I think most bushcrafters would have a heart attach if they saw the state of most professional axe user's tools. Except when I'm selling the things I don't think i've ever bothered sanding and oiling my axe handles and I can't remember any having a problem :D

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
With respect boys, One axe that I picked from a boot market was really rusty, and the handle was as dry as a bone with lots of cracks in it all over, the handle was 34 inches long.
I took it of the seller, and with some work on it plenty of linseed oil.
The cracks disappeared.
Purchase price £1.00 selling price £14.00 with everybody happy.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
With respect boys, One axe that I picked from a boot market was really rusty, and the handle was as dry as a bone with lots of cracks in it all over, the handle was 34 inches long.
I took it of the seller, and with some work on it plenty of linseed oil.
The cracks disappeared.
Purchase price £1.00 selling price £14.00 with everybody happy.

With respect, the cracks didn't "disappear" they are still there. You could of got the same effect by sticking it in a bucket of water for a day, which is what I do to my caulking hammer when I need to use it. I don't mind the odd shake in a piece of wood but I wouldn't want to use an axe that had a lot of them.

As for varnish, do you want to use it or look at it, if you use it enough the oils from your skin will be enough to keep it happy.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
As I understand (and forgive me if if I'm talking out of my hat here), with canoe paddles, it's not about looks but rather the varnish gives you blisters. Now with axes it might be different in that, unless you're using it all day, the aggravation from the varnish and sweat rubbing against your skin might not be that bad, but with a canoe paddle, the first rule seems to be, sand off the varnish and oil it to avoid blisters. It's practicality rather than aesthetics.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I understood that the same thing applies to any tool handle - a varnished or painted finish is slippery and can rub up blisters. An oiled finish (when the oil has cured!) is non-slippery and doesn't rub up blisters nearly as quickly.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Not wrong mate! I think most bushcrafters would have a heart attach if they saw the state of most professional axe user's tools. Except when I'm selling the things I don't think i've ever bothered sanding and oiling my axe handles and I can't remember any having a problem :D

im sure back in the day of timber fallers that used axes looked after their's to the point of obsesion but im kinda with you. i like to look after my tools, i fixed up a splitting maul which i have now split countless loads with and keep telling myself 'i should really sand this handle down and soak the head again,' but it still hasnt happened :D

i may, because of this post give my maul a bit of tlc, but then again, will i? :rolleyes: lol

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE