Axe handle advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,

So I'm currently in the process of re-handling an old axe I found lying around at a car boot sale. I bought a pre-shaped hickory handle of the Bay a few weeks back, and finally got round to fitting it. One thing I didn't realise is that, the actual eye of the axe is basically a triangle: smaller at the bottom and wider at the top. As a result, my efforts have resulted in the pictured mess.

http://tinypic.com/r/2e34zlz/8

As you can see, the handle is not long enough to actually reach the edges of the axe eye.

Now I'd like to know, is this a definite throw away job? I don't ever plan on using the axe intensely, but maybe a few times in its life. Can I save it by using a longer wedge that sits against the length edges? As it sits now, un-wedged, it's very firmly in place. But obviously, I don't want it flying off (when wedged) if I eventually take it for a swing!

Thanks for your advice chaps! All the best,

D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wouldn't be able to have it like that; it's too small for the axe. Whatever I did to that it'd pain my senses every time I looked at it. I'd make one for it from a piece of seasoned ash or else just buy another from your local tool shop or farm supplies place.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As the other chaps have said, it could be filled and glued fairly well......But for the price of a new haft you could have something that wont set your teeth on edge every time you look at it :D

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
If you used a wood putty filler it will certainly loosen up with impact Re shaft it and be safe, one less thing to worry about. Save existing shaft for future use..

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Have to agree with the general consensus Dan, a new haft won't cost the earth and it won't make you pull a face every time you look at it. I do the same thing when I look at an old axe my dad filled up with weld to accept a hammer shaft many moons ago because he didn't have a decent fitting shaft. Its going to be well worth the pennies

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm - from your original post, it sounds like the head fills the eye of the axe at the bottom. Is that so? Is it also the case that your axe handle tapers a bit towards the end?

You could try this: Cut a slit maybe 3" deep across the eye, in the middle, so the two slits make an X.

Sand down (cautiously, keep trying for fit) the handle so that the axe head slides down further. Do this until the head is pretty far down (this only works if the handle is actually tapered at the head end, I'm assuming that the handle has been shaped to fit a variety of wedges).

Now you need 3 wedges. One to go in the transverse cut you made, then one either side of it. Put the transverse on in first, tap it not quite all the way in. Then the others.

Hopefully you now won't have gaps.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I'm with mrcharly and would have a go but maybe make 2 equally spaced slits. Some dark wood wedges to give a nice contrast when oiled.

I tend to get far more satisfaction from something I've made or adapted to suit my purpose than going down the shops and buying something new.

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Is the top of the haft as supplied ? because if so it looks possibly like you may have too short a handle length too (in general terms not personal preference).

I've recently been digging round to rehandle an axe and have found that certain weight heads have 'standard' sizes of eye (in both length and widest point), which then relates to hafts of a given length suited to the supposed intended tasks for that size head.

So for mine I'll be sanding some of the thickness to get it to fit as I want a handle 2" longer than the haft sellers think I need.

Chaps, thanks for the great replies. Some very good advice to be had! I've decided to go with initial responses and start afresh. I've a smaller hatchet head that needs a handle, so I may well use this one to handle the smaller head, and look to making one myself for the larger head.
Once again, thanks for the great replies.
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE