Axe Choice And Where To Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Hi All

I'm looking at getting an axe and having missed the group buys for the Red Hunters have now been looking seriously at the alternatives.

Most people seem to get a Gransfors Small Forest Axe for general stuff and I had a chance to use one recently too. However, I note in the "Selecting an axe" stickie British Red mentions the Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe. Anyone got any experience of this one?

Some reviews/comments I've found suggest it's perhaps better than the SFA but that the SFA has a far better finish. Also, where can you buy them?

Gransfors seem to be everywhere but I can only find one place stocking Wetterlings in the UK but the Large Hunters is out of stock.

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy,

Shame you missed the buys

Outdoorcode used to do the Large Hunter - its a fine axe but the bevel usually needs a litlle work. A great all round axe but a little on the heavy side. SFAs are everywhere - I'd suggest if you have a local stockist, go and handle a few and check the grain on the helve - I've seen a few really poor helves on GBs lately. I'd handle a Wildlife hatchet whilst you are there - much lighter (maybe a little too light). Equally don't dismiss the smaller Wetterlings. The Rosellis are also fine axes - good at cutting and great at splitting (which lets face it is what we do with them a lot of the time). The Rosellis are pricey though.

If you are ever passing come and handle a few and see which suit your purpose

Red

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Budget low: Fiskars (wilkinson/gerber)
Budget Medium: Wetterlings or Ochsenkopf/helko
Budget High: Granfors or Roselli
Budget Unlimited: Where do you start!

With reason, if you haven't owned a good axe before, go with a wetterling.. it lower cost than a gransfors, similar in head shape, and similar in model styles. You can't go wrong with it when it comes to beginning technique.
You can also experiment with a proper grind, as illustrated on many of the threads here, without fear of ruining a more expensive head.

Axe away!

edispilff

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got a GB Small Forest Axe and it really is great for the money. However, i recently had the opportunity to have a look at Timinwales's Cegga. What can i say, absolutely fan- blooming-tastic! I do not usually fall prey to envy (axe envy?) but i can honestly say, hand on heart, that if i had seen and handled the Cegga before the GB, that is where my money would go. It just seemed that the balance, finish, shape, everything was just so impressive.

There is nothing wrong with the GB SFA, a fine axe and no doubt, but everytime i use it, whether Timinwales is there or not, i'll be thinking 'this is nice, but i could have a Cegga......'

My two 'peneth, save your money and keep an eye out for a Cegga!;)

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Thanks folks for the comments. Food for thought.

I may be disappointed, as are many, at missing out on the Red Hunters but at the same time I know I don't have any experience of axes and damaging one of these through lack of knowledge or experience would devestate me! I'm still worried about ruining my Jojo knife as I'm far from great at sharpening at the moment :eek:

Thanks for all the advice and I'll look around some local places and see what I can find to try and handle some.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE