Axe bits!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys, just picked up my new Hultafors Large Agdor feller. Lovely bit of kit. I am trying to decide on the best sharpening setup. I am liking the idea of the lansky Puck or the garnsfors version thats £20 more. Is there a difference between the two? And is there anybody on here making quality sheaths for the axe head in question? thanks, Tim.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
personally I can't stand the pucks, they get your fingers way to closeto the cutting edge for my liking! I would suggest either wet and dry paper on a foam backing (such as a mousemat) or using stones and learning to roll the convex edge across them (ie the stone is fixed and your hand is nowhere near)

Or you could just use a 2nd cut file and not be bushcrafter-precious over uneccesary edges :p

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
personally I can't stand the pucks, they get your fingers way to closeto the cutting edge for my liking! I would suggest either wet and dry paper on a foam backing (such as a mousemat) or using stones and learning to roll the convex edge across them (ie the stone is fixed and your hand is nowhere near)

Or you could just use a 2nd cut file and not be bushcrafter-precious over uneccesary edges :p

Files are very under rated. People put a nick into a chisel/plane iron/axe by hitting a nail whatever and its a great way to remove metal fast without heating the steel up.

Can mess on with progressively smaller grits after that but to just get that ding out its pretty good.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
The lansky pucks are far coarser than the granny bruks ones.

I got a natural gb stone for Christmas, and its pretty effective, but as Dave says, youve got to be very careful. Particularly once youve got good enough to put a sharp edge on the steel.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like files - be they first cut, second cut or diamond files. Ideally nice short ones. Finish up with a bit of wet n dry on a mousemat covered sanding block if I'm being picky.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Another thing about files. When was the last time you wore out an axe stone and bunged it in the wood burner overnight, prior to turning it into a blade or a striker?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I use a puck type stone and files when needed. I find the files to be far more dangerous than the stone as the file brings my fingers moving towards the edge and in line with it, wheras with the stones my fingers are above the edge and moving with it rather than towards it.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have the same axe. :)

Either a DC4 or silicon carbide paper on a mouse matted sanding block does my edge nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE