Axe and bowl adze combo - from the movies...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
From Snow White and the Huntsman (I know, I know, I'm blaming the girlfriend)....
1338754854_snowwhite-467.jpeg

Quite liked the axe/adze combo (best pic I can find at the moment) - don't know how usable the bowl adze end would be on that great big axe though. Unless there's another use I can't think of.

As for the film - a fairly harmless piece of nonsense although SWTSMBO may have regretted the choice after a long rant over the use of full platemailed knights charging through woodland, none of the leaders wearing face visors (or even helmets in the 'Snow White meets Jean D'Arc' scenes) not using any lances at all, the rapid fire trebuchets with flaming explosive shells etc etc etc :D

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Is that a tool or a weapon? Generally the pointed slightly hooky end was for penetrating plate and pulling horsemen off their hight horses.

You can just make out the other end of the adze, the wee bump just behind the handle is the other end of the 'adze' blade - which is why I thought bowl adze. Unfortunately there's not a good picture of it that I can find through google - but it looked to be about 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches wide with a 1 1/2 inch deep curve. Certainly not for penetrating plate.

The huntsman's got a fair collection of blades on him, there's that, 2 hatchets (which he throws) a big knife blade & a smaller one.

big knife (and end of hatchet handle sticking out from behind him)
Snow-White-Huntsman.jpg

Attachments

• Snow-White-Huntsman.jpg
    Snow-White-Huntsman.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can just make out the other end of the adze, the wee bump just behind the handle is the other end of the 'adze' blade - which is why I thought bowl adze. Unfortunately there's not a good picture of it that I can find through google - but it looked to be about 2 1/2 inches to 3 inches wide with a 1 1/2 inch deep curve. Certainly not for penetrating plate.

I'll just call it Hollywierd special.

The huntsman's got a fair collection of blades on him, there's that, 2 hatchets (which he throws) a big knife blade & a smaller one.

big knife (and end of hatchet handle sticking out from behind him)

Exactly what is he supposed to be hunting with that kit? I'm almost afraid to ask...

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
He's just a bushcrafter like half the people you bump into at meets - you know, a couple of fixed blades, a couple of folders, SFA, carving axe, sloyd, hook knife, etc etc. All carried on the "bushcraft bat-belt" via a variety of leather sheaths, pouches and baldricks. When he turns round if you look closely you'll see he has a Lapplander saw in a belt sheath too... and a firesteel...

C'mon, who are we to throw stones.... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE