Autumn watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi i dont think this has been posted before but correct me if i am wrong, any way has anyone been watching autumn watch on bbc 2, i only caught a bit of it last night but it seemed like a very good program, they set moth traps and helped you identify the ones they found, they looked at red deers roars in the rutting season and talked about birds and geese
its on mondays and thursdays 8pm to 9pm i think so check it out if you can definetly worth a watch i think
heres the website
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
leon-b said:
hi i dont think this has been posted before but correct me if i am wrong, any way has anyone been watching autumn watch on bbc 2, i only caught a bit of it last night but it seemed like a very good program, they set moth traps and helped you identify the ones they found, they looked at red deers roars in the rutting season and talked about birds and geese
its on mondays and thursdays 8pm to 9pm i think so check it out if you can definetly worth a watch i think
heres the website
leon
I have been watching it, I am interested in moth trapping and I liked his cardboard box one, mine is similar, but is made of ply and has perspex lids and the bulb built onto it, you can trap with just a bulb and a white sheet. What they didn't say was that book he was using to identify the moths, costs £30, but it is the best around.
Liked the red deer too and it was interesting to learn about their calls. I was half way up a Scottish mountain once, when we saw this big stag deer near us. He stood his ground and barked at us and stamped his foot, it was very intimidating, he eventually ran off though, and we were glad.
I know many do not like either or both presenters, but it works for me........

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Top stuff with full marks going to Simon King for his informative account of the red deer rut. He really knows his onions and, perhaps more importantly, his genuine enthusiasm is infectious.

Cheers

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
come on guys where are the replies, what do you think of the program
just to remind you its on tonight and again on thursday this is the last week so catch it if you can
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well it was a fantastic show tonite, the stag with funny shaped horns i cant remember his name beat the stag who has never lost a fight
leon

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
I watched it. I keep meaning to put it on, but i forget. I watched it last night, that deer did some damage, i couldnt tell the strange shape of the antlers, but they must be a tad odd.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
all the other antlers had pieces coming of the main section all the way to the end of the antlers, the weird shaped ones didnt they just had a couple near the begining and then none at the end
if you get me, if not i will draw you a diagram
leon

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, Brutus with his funny-shaped antlers is very interesting - quite possibly an example of evolution in action. It's pretty clear that he only won his fight because of the unusual (and dangerous) shape of his antlers. If he manages to breed as a result, and if the new antler shape is heritable, then it could trigger a whole new round of the evolutionary arms race.

For those who aren't watching, this particular stag has antlers that can get in between those of a "normal" stag, with downward-pointing tips. This resulted in the death of one of his opponents last year - the usual headbanging resulted not in a clash of antlers, but a fatal stabbing. It's not unheard of for deer to die in the rut, but it is quite unusual.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ahh thanks gregorach brutus thats his name
you said thats why he one the fight i think that that helped but the other deer had already been in a fight for 10 mins just before he fought brutus so he was a bit tired
leon

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Just realised why i didnt watch it, Ray Mears is on UKTV G2 or something like that. Its a shame there both on at the same time.
Thanks Leon, i see what you mean about the antlers. I think Brutice would have won anyway because of his antlers. When you watched you could see the antlers going to where it would have killed the other deer. I think the other deer did come close but he knicked Brutic's antler away.
It would be interesting to see if the antlers will be inherited and if the its another step of evolution.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes it would be interesting to see if brutus's offspring also have the same antlers
leon

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
leon-b said:
lurch what one is it that you dont like
leon

Blimey! I can't believe anyone needs to ask.
:rolleyes:

It is the obnoxious one who disappears up his (*) own backside.
The one who cracks on like he has environmental issues at heart and yet is actually more interested in his own ego.
You will find no shortage of people who having met him will tell you just what a gonk he is.

(*) I guess that's cut the number of possibles down :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE