Austrian Army Sweater-but with a full length zipper? Help! German Speakers Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Alright, I was looking at that nice heavy Austrian sweater but came across something similar:

Alpinweste (Alpin pullover) and it appears to be a Austrian surplus sweater made out of wool and the sweater has a full length zipper!!! The search results come up on Google in the German language and the translation is ..well, you know, confusing.

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these zippered sweaters and is it basically the heavy wool sweater with a full length zipper?

Any Austrian bushcrafters like to enlighten us?

Thanks.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Modellgleich wie Alpinpullover aber statt mit Knöpfen eben mit Zipp, dadurch wesentlich leichter zum An und Ausziehen, auch komfortabler falls es mal wärmer wird , kann die Weste einfach aufgemacht werden , was ja beim Pullover nur begrenzt möglich ist.
Sehr warm.

Exactly the same model as the 'alpine jumper' but with a zip rather than buttons, as a result of which it is considerably easier to put on and take off and is also considerably more comfortable, should conditions get warmer, as the 'jacket' can simply be 'opened', something which isn't really possible with the jumper. Very warm.

Hope that helps.

Best Wishes
David

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
adriatikfan,

thanks for the link and translation.

I imagine one of these sweaters would last a long time so I figure you get your money's worth.
Has anyone ever seen these on the UK marketplace or tried them out? I know the pullover version turns up on surplus markets but this version with the zip I have not seen on UK outlet sites.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
http://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?id=24848?var=00000

same language problem but its a nice price; grade B though... not sure what the equivalent is here.

got the non-zip and yeh i think the zip would be an improvement as it can be a bit time consuming to put it on; worth it during winter but not at this time of year.

zips are the first thing to go though...#

(there are non-zips on the site too)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE