Australia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hurricane

Dec 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
Theres the rub......

We have recently moved to Dartmoor and absolutely love the place, but the long term plan is to move overseas, and we have just finished doing a set of pre immigration papers and it looks like we are going to be able to get in, its a 2 year process and I won't bore you all about it, but, more importantly, my question is, what's it like?

Anyone been?

I know its a little different to the type of thing I am used to here in the UK but what stories do people have and how hard did you find it?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are you saying your thinking of moving there yet you have not visited it?

Just out of interest have you qualified on points due to you business? Ie fencing??

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Where to start?

First off: Hot except, maybe, in Tasmania. Having said that, although you can burn to a crisp in 1/2 an hour, unless you protect yourself, it is usually a drier heat than in UK, so it's not as uncomfortable. I say usually because Oz has many different climates. Seriously, you'd have to give us an idea of where you intend to go - which of course, as you've never been, could be a little hard to decide.

It's a big place and it has everything ranging from rainforest to bushland to deserts to, well, you get the idea.

Something to give an idea though on what it's like to live here: Unless you intend to live slap bang in one of the cities - the entire population of Australia is about 20 million, roughly. The UK population inside the M25 is not much less at about 18 million. So there's plenty of space here. I can't remember the exact figure, but around 90+% of the population lives on the coast. If you go inland at all you can easily find quiet places to live.

This is in no way a comprehensive answer, I know, but I can't really answer your question in a nice neat way.

Suffice to say I'm a Pom - as you may have guessed from my user name - and I'm still happy here after several years. I live inland. I'm on this forum - which may tell you something of my interests, and they do have a hiking community here, which is a start, if you want to get out and about.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've only been to Queensland and New South Wales, but I like Australia a lot. The Aussies are wonderful folks and the environment is just fascinating. I've got loads of Aussie friends, both ex-pats here in the US and over there.

I would suggest you visit before making the decision to move there, however. It's a long way to go only to find it didn't work out as you imagined.

In any event, I haven't a bad word to say about Australia.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
As stated above it has a vast array of ecosystems from desert, mountains to rainforest. If you require alpine adventure New Zealand is a 2 hour flight away.

Do you know where you intend to live, up north is very humid and may take a lot of acclimatising. I moved from Melbourne to Sydney and it took me about two years to adjust to the humidity of summer. I don't think there will be too much culture shock; I guess it is what you make of the experience in the end.

I live in Manly, which has a huge UK community. They all appear to be very happy.

All the major cities offer easy access to amazing wilderness areas.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A good friend of mine did the same as you intend to do, moved there without ever visitiing. He fell on his feet with work and accomodation and raves about the place all the time. We went to visit a few years ago and I must admit that it has an attraction, friendly people, mild climate and seemingly endless opportunities - I just can't sever the ties to my immediate family and leave them all behind.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hurricane

Dec 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
Are you saying your thinking of moving there yet you have not visited it?

Just out of interest have you qualified on points due to you business? Ie fencing??

No, sorry, I have looked back and seen that it looks like I was asking what the country is like as in what's Australia like, but we got back from celebrations quite late and we were a little merry to say the least!

Basically, and I mean VERY basically, we have sent our Applications off, my TRA and the other half's "trade assessment" have been approved. which is the first stage and now its just a case of the long wait for the Visas to be approved, admittedly we could still be rejected, but we qualified on the points by quite a high number (I also have family over there) and its all being dealt with by one of the best Immigration agents out there.
I qualified as a Landscaped, a trade recently (at the time of applying as it changes too often for words) added to the MODL categories.
I was really worried TBH because I have been self employed for so long and had a year out of work last year because of a back injury but they approved me all the same!

As for going out to OZ yeah, been quite a few times, it was because of the trips I have had down under that I decided to try, and the OH loves the country. We are planning out validation trip (IF we get the visa, fingers crossed) some time in November/December.

What I more wanted to know was about the outdoor scene, the bushcraft scene........

bivvyman

Mar 29, 2009
Leeds
Heres one for you..I worked on ships, second engineer & forever getting g/f's in wrong countries..so i had a few years here ,there & wow where am i now..lmao......for example ,i loved old europe ,In the 80's .North/S E& W before it looked like 'merica with its tacky burger bars & cheesy schit..

I loved N Africa & down the east coast, when the Christians were like everyone else & respected, before mobile fones ..on board ,I cruised all of the 'merican coastline from green land down & ditched the ship, at southern peru....you guessed it another chik..then hitched & walked our way back to the uk ( home from 13yrs of age)..Then my ichy feet got the better of me in the mid 90's & i did the china to Aussie/NZ thing..lovelly, paradise ,sun & the fresh food ....arrrrrrr, i thought, until i could not get what i could in the Uk, so after sorting the local southern pasific ladies , tripping the Islands...it was time to get every thing on my door step again..the convenience of europe 30mins to 3 hrs anywhere, africa 2- 4 hrs , & every thing i could think of with the added security of a fantastic countryside home..laff you may...My advice is NEVER sell up..go try 1st & we'll see you back ...next year !! Have fun & good luck.

Ps ..I forgot to mention , im not UK born , so i know what hot sunshine is too !!

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
There are some rules and regs from memory (I grew up out there, 26yrs) and you have to be a bit careful the bush is the real deal not like the UK countryside - it will kill you, Sun, Snakes Spiders, to say nothing of what's in the surf, did I mention crocs?

It's less kit obsessed than here, you can get the gear but then you can also just get on with it. For example - there is a thread elsewhere discussing the merits of various brands of Billy can - in Oz the average billy can is precisely that a can with a bale attached. In short a catering tin.

Camping places are a common feature as are pulling in places where you can light fires. Guns are an option although there are licenses now. Unlike the UK you can end up a long way from anywhere - PPPPPP

PM me if you have anything specific - mind you I have been getting damp over here for the last 10+ yrs.

Stephen

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I moved to Tasmania with my girlfriend three years ago and we haven't looked back.
The climate is similar to th UK but a lot warmer more of the time.
As for bushcraft the place is great. There are no courses, but it hasn't taken me long to
find some local knowledge of the Australian bush.

Swagman.

Hurricane

Dec 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
Hi folks, just thought I would pop in and say hi, we made it out to OZ and are still out there, back "home" for a couple of months to catch up with family and see the rello's in case its all to late and thought I would just show me head. Life is pretty bloody good and to be honest its the best decision we ever made, if it wasn't for a very sick parent we would prolly never have come back.
Only been "bush" a couple of times and it was scary! Real scary, one was up near Broom and that was hardcore, they are bang into their 4x4'ng here and its hard to get them to step out of the car and go off, but then I guess it can be so harsh you wouldn't want to. I doubt we will be on much, the internet is NOT cheap here, we limit our online use to internet cafes and the iPhone to talk to folk back home. If there was anything I could offer as advise its this, if you have a dream then just do it... you will never look back! Laters, I might be back on if we can get to a computer again, otherwise, enjoy!

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Glad to hear it worked out for you, I'll be relocating to Perth myself in the v.near future so may see you out in the "BUSH"

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Note: Just got back from a holiday with in-laws. It's the 5th time we've been over the last 12 years. It is currently expensive in Australia, much more so than it was 5-10 years ago. The exchange rate has halved, house prices have risen very rapidly (in urban areas like Sydney, in particular) and the cost of living has increased significantly. Basically, your UK money will not go nearly as far as it used to so make sure you have enough savings and a job lined up.

Hurricane

Dec 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
To be fair though Mikey, I'm paid in Australian dollars, in Australia and we have been here for long enough not to have to keep comparing back to the UK. We had very little back in the UK and have much more here, sorry there, I know its a cliche but we live an outdoors lifestyle and we love it so for us, it worked out perfectly.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Mental note to self: check thread date for OP before replying.

My comment was more for people who are just about to move - hadn't realised you were already there. Doh!

Hurricane

Dec 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
Thats fine mate, I do agree in principle and I think if we had a house to sell in the Uk or assets there then it would be a different matter but we didn't so we went with "open hands" so to speak. Its been an adventure and I am sure it will get even better if we end up going for citizenship (if they offer it to us), but its also worth noting that away in the bush, like most of the land past the Perth Hills, land and property prices are unreal, and its there where I think we will end up moving to, we can't at the moment because of our visa restrictions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE