Assistance required - rehandling a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Hi all

I need some assistance with my first attempt at rehandling a knife. Ultimately i want to rehandle my Fallkniven F1 and H1with some wooden handles but at the moment i thougth i'd practise on a Cold Steel Master Hunter that i've got.

I cut out the old handle and it's got a full length rat tail tang.

I want to know how to attach new handles on? I've got a block of African ebony but should i cut it in half and chisel grooves on the inside faces of each half so the tang fits?

OR

In some pics i've seen, it seems like the block is left whole and holes are drilled(??) into the block making a hole the depth and width of the tang.

Any advise on which is the best way to go???

If i left the block as a whole block then i'd need to find a drill bit(??) that is the same width as the tang (easy enough) but also one that is long enough to drill to the length of the tang. Is this correct method?

I know for the FAllkniven blades, they dont quite have a rat tail tang but they arent full width either so i would have the same question with them....

again, any advise on this issue would be much appreciated.

THanks again in advance.

regards
Jeelan

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
hi Scanker

Thanks for the assistance. I particularly like ZDP-189's method of using a different type of wood both as a liner AND as a medium in which to imbed the tang really appeals to me so i think i'm going to try something like that.

I'll post some pics once i'm done and see how bad :)-)) it looks!!!

Thanks again....

regards
Jeelan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE