As a total counterpoint.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's a soda scone. Nowt wrong with ham on that. Better still with bacon. When I worked with the 'doon-hamers', a fried soda scone was a regular thing with the bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fried tattie scone, maybe, but I hadn't thought of the others.
Big soda scone hot off the girdle, split and filled with jam. Mug of cha and it's great :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thon biscuit's a scone :)

Dead pig on a scone :confused: I've seen it all.

M

Oh Toddy,
Savoury scones are my favourite, a warm cheese scone with melted butter:p, The café in the next village make braw cranberry, spring onion and cheese ones that go perfectly with a cup of strong tea. Slaverin' thinking about it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, but, a good cheese scone's a work of art :D Add some mustard, or a wee tate nutmeg, and it's awfully good :D
Just never though to add meat to it.

I suppose we could make crumbled bacon and fried onions in one too though.

M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Fried tattie scone, ...

Them too!
t2801.gif

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thon biscuit's a scone :)

Dead pig on a scone :confused: I've seen it all.

M

Nah. Much lighter and fluffier than a scone. If you think the ham's unusual you should see the other ways we eat them:

Biscuits and gravy, usually sausage gray or tomato gravy (tomato gravy made from a roux of bacon grease and flour)

Breakfast sandwiches with bacon, sausage, egg, or various combinations thereof:

I'm surprised you haven't seen them before as they're a staple for McDonalds breakfast menu. Not as popular as the McMuffins, granted (at least not up north) Well, at least the sandwich types are a staple at MD's. They don't offer the gravied ones. But many, if not most other fast food places and almost all regular sit down (all the good ones) do

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Er I think he means cowboy biscuits, like small dampers cooked in a iron frying pan

http://www.recipekey.com/therecipes/Cowboy-Biscuits

some use sourdough but I think baking powders the norm. Often used for mopping up gravy.

no sugar or butter involved.

atb

tom

Nope. Ordinary, everyday American biscuits baked in an oven. www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/biscuits-recipe.html Some recipes use sweet milk (ordinary, whole fat milk) while others use buttermilk. And yes, they can be sourdough biscuits.

The recipe you linked is the same thing, but the designation "cowboy" biscuit is just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah - two Nations divided by a common language :)
US UK
Biscuit Scone
Cookie Biscuit
Candies Sweeties
The list goes on.....

Close John. We have scones here also (although they're not as popular) But there some difference between them and our biscuits.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi! I'm a Scotswoman....my scones are light and airy; it'd be an insult to suggest they were stodgy.

I don't eat at McDonald's or the like, so I haven't seen their 'biscuits'.
They sound more like our soda bread tbh.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oi! I'm a Scotswoman....my scones are light and airy; it'd be an insult to suggest they were stodgy.

I don't eat at McDonald's or the like, so I haven't seen their 'biscuits'.
They sound more like our soda bread tbh.

cheers,
M

Yeah. Your soda bread is the closest comparison. Our biscuits are usually smaller though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oi! I'm a Scotswoman....my scones are light and airy; it'd be an insult to suggest they were stodgy.....

All things are relative Mary. I'd never intentionally insult your cooking. Well, "never" might be an exaggeration; I'd definitely do it in jest. LOL. But not in seriousness.

That said, do y'all use the same punishment we do for those who complain about the cooking?

He who complains first, is the new cook.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick word of advice for anybody who might try the recipes for American biscuits: as stated, some recipes use regular milk while others use buttermilk. IF you use buttermilk, you'll also need to add a bit of baking soda to the baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) to counteract the acidity.

Most recipes that specifically call for buttermilk will have already accounted for this.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I suppose the "cowboy" bit refers to them being done in the pan, although you'd think most chuck wagons would have a Dutch oven. I do mine in a Aussie camp oven when out. Never done them in a open pan. Mind you even bannock dos better in a oven than on a hot rock or frying pan.

http://www.southernmetalspinners.com.au/camping-page.html

To be honest I prefer cornbread.

Nice to see even ASDA is stocking buttermilk now.

The kids love damper, especially the sweet sort with dried fruit.

http://australian.food.com/recipe/aussie-damper-sweet-or-savoury-you-decide-460606

ATB

TOM

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose the "cowboy" bit refers to them being done in the pan, although you'd think most chuck wagons would have a Dutch oven. I do mine in a Aussie camp oven when out. Never done them in a open pan. Mind you even bannock dos better in a oven than on a hot rock or frying pan.

http://www.southernmetalspinners.com.au/camping-page.html

To be honest I prefer cornbread.

Nice to see even ASDA is stocking buttermilk now.

ATB

TOM

I think you're right on pretty much all points. I like both biscuits and cornbread. Biscuits for breakfast (and occasionally at other meals)

But CORNBREAD! Now that's excellent with chili, soups, veg that have a lot of pot liquor.

Do you also make hushpuppies?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hushpuppies

pa1a12_hush_puppies.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

The basic recipe is to use your cornbread batter, form small balls with it (about a teaspoon full of batter each) and drop them in hot oil to deep fry. You can mix various things into the batter: finely diced green onions, garlic, grated cheese, cayenne pepper, etc.) they're usually served as a side dish with fried fish or any seafood.

Seen here with fish fillets http://awomanreading.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/fried-fish-and-hush-puppies.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE