Artistic or creative help, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've started on the Christmas present making. I'm doing a matryoshka doll for my little Niece. So far I've done the solid inner doll and one hollow doll, from one piece of Olivewood. Hopefully I'll get one more from a second bit of Olivewood and I'll try for another from a nice bit of Leadwood (half and half sap and heart wood) I've got hanging about.

Progress so far:

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

I like to think I'm a reasonably capable maker of things, but I have no artistic sensibility. As I understand it, traditional matryoshka dolls are very pale and the decoration is simply painted on. Shall I white undercoat and paint on the decoration (as designed by my sister, I would imagine!) or leave bare wood and pyrograph the decoration on?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
matryoshka are traditionally made form birch but you don't see any wood through the paint. I have a big book on them this one http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=hibberd&bt.x=60&bt.y=12&sts=t&tn=matryoshka
3/4 of the book is photos of painted dolls and personally I find them to be very tacky tourist driven folk art. The first 1/4 of the book though shows the turning factories and there is skill beyond words.
As for designs there are more images than you could ever want if you do a google image search here http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=...l0l0l93l93l1l1l0&q=matryoshka&orq=matryoshka+

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hang on! If you are working with fancy wood then painting it would be so very wrong.

A Very simple pyrographed design would be better

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Nearly there;

matroyshkaburnt.jpg

I had a bit of difficult with seeing what I was doing in the bottom of the insides. With a bit of a modification to my scrapers it was much easier;

ledscraper.jpg

Cheers people, pyrography looks like the right choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE