Article: How to Make a Fire Fork! Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks for the clear instructions. I've seen it decribed as "grandpa's fire fork". As a grandpa, I wanted to impress my grandson by making one in front of him. I'll probably take all the credit when I make one, put you'll know you have my gratitude!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
You can burn off the zinc on galvanised wire can't you? There's loads of it round here so I fancy giving this a go. Suppose I could get some of the rusted wire that's about and sand off the tines - the zincs worn off if it's visibly rusted I think.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'd be wary of using galvanised wire (maybe a wire coat hanger would be better) ISTR that cyanide is used in the galv process?

Liam

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
take a piece of green wood notch it then cut off to make a chisel point retain the wedge. split the wood about 4 inches down from the chisel tip put in the wedge to separate the forks and a few turns of lashings around the wedge job done.

Oct 23, 2012
Bishop Auckland
This is great, if anyone else has got any reasonably easy projects like this I would be over the moon to see them. This is definitely one that I will take to my Scouts.

Thanks again cobweb, Steve

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Try using old bicycle spokes. You'll need to snip off the head and the threaded bit. The rest is very good quality stainless steel - a standard wheel has 32-36 of them and bike shops will probably give you old wheels for free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE