Artemiss inspired Scrimshaw.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
After seeing Artemiss, a scrimshaw artist over on BB, at the UK Knife Show I was inspired to have a go. Her work is so fine and detailed it will take a lot of practice to get anywhere near such skill!
love29.gif

For my first go I started at a manageable size, the piece of plastic it's on is 10cm across and it took nearly 5 hours to do, I hope you like it, comments welcome.
Cheers
Nigel

IMG_0481-1.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That's very fine work, is it any particular type of plastic made for scrimshaw? or just a spare "bit"...

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
From a fellow fledgling scrimshander, you have done a Wonderful job on that!!! Clean, uniformity and nice shift in tones from area of fur to another, I like it.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
I don't like it rubbish. you can chuck it I my letter box and I will put on my wall. amazing work for a first try. next move on to leather if you can. nice work well done. just joking. cheers

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Thank you all very much for all your encouraging comments. I really enjoyed doing it and intend to do more in the future. On the way to me now are some Tagua nuts, mammoth ivory and corian,to see how they differ.
That's very fine work, is it any particular type of plastic made for scrimshaw? or just a spare "bit"...

The ground I used for this one was a waste piece of polyurethane casting material we use at work. It seemed to work well but I have nothing to compare it with until I try out the other more usual scrimshaw materials.
Cheers
Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE