Arrowheads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Thank you. Its well worth a shot, they're made with tools you'd find at home. You could do it manually with a hacksaw etc, but you'd be there for much much much longer.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Thanks. It's a cheap way to do arrowheads. Yes it may take time to make (in a good weekend and with the right power tools it can be done much quicker). Plus the same principle applies to wooden ones if that's your thing. Shape, file, sand, adjust. Wooden ones can be done in the bush, whilst not as sharp or as good for penetration, they'll do the job. Also many shops (wilko, idea, etc) have them for cheap. That pack of two cost £1 from the hardware store.

Factor in electric costs and gas costs for heating the spoon and you're looking at around £1.50-2.00 per arrowhead.
Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Tempers it with a quench eh? :)

Quenching hardens a blade.... tempering comes after quenching to bring the hardness back down to where you want it......spoons are made from non hardenable stainless steel.... You can't harden it... you can't temper it..... It could just be work hardening perhaps, as is the way you can harden things like bronze?
It tempers it so it's stronger. Otherwise it is quite flimsy and easy to break.

You can download it without a Dropbox account.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Great article

I have some stainless teaspoons I bought for conversion to arrowheads after an article in Bushcraft mag earlier in the year, but you have gone to a much higher level - bigger spoons too.

Thanks

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Tempers it with a quench eh? :)

Quenching hardens a blade.... tempering comes after quenching to bring the hardness back down to where you want it......spoons are made from non hardenable stainless steel.... You can't harden it... you can't temper it..... It could just be work hardening perhaps, as is the way you can harden things like bronze?

You learn something new every day. I was under the assumption that stainless steel could be hardened, but I guess I am wrong.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Great article

I have some stainless teaspoons I bought for conversion to arrowheads after an article in Bushcraft mag earlier in the year, but you have gone to a much higher level - bigger spoons too.

Thanks

Thanks. I saw something similar done on another website a while back and gave it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE