Arktis Arctic Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have been re-reading the old BCUK magazines, well numbers 3-6 as I can't find my first two issues for some reason.
Anyways I was reading Stuart's review of the Arctic shirt and he seems to have high praise for it, so I went and had a google.

The only one I could find which appears similar on the Country Covers website is:

http://www.countrycovers.co.uk/products/22/antarctica

The name is different, also the content. In the artciles Stuart mentions it is 70% Merino Wool and 30% Nomex, however the website only says that the remaining 30% is Polyester. Is this different from the original one in the review?

Also with regards to sizing I have read that they are a generous fit, so would a small be ok for a 37-38" chest.

Just asked Country Covers for some info as well, so will post here if I get a reply from them.

However I have noticed that the price is almost double that in the original posts I was searching, so is it really still good value for the money or is it better saving up for say a Bison Guide Shirt?

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
I would email Arktis if i was you, they are trying to clear a lot of old products for cheap so if they have it in the warehouse you might be able to get a good deal.
Be clear with them what your after tho, i found them frustrating to email.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I have a black Arktis Antarctica D190 shirt that is about 6 years old now. It was made in England of 70% Merino wool, 20% Polyester and 10% Nylon, washable at 60deg.
I remember at the time I got it they did a virtually identical shirt that featured Nomex fire-retardant fabric along with the 70% Merino. I had it in my mind that perhaps it was the green shirt that had the Nomex, but maybe it was the Arktis 1514 Shirt.

I have grown to like my shirt a great deal. Although the surface has 'pilled' quite a bit it is a warm, bomb-proof zip-neck. It has passed from being an outdoor shirt, to a training top and now does duty as a pyjama top on those cold Swedish winter nights.
Bit of a different animal to the Bison Shirt - but I'm a Pendleton man myself...
Anyway here's a link to a D190:

http://www.servicesandsecurity.com/...layer-shirts/arktis-d190-antartica-shirt.html

I did see that somewhere along the line that Country Covers were producing them, but I have no info on if it exactly the same shirt or not.

Thanks Jimmy. Interesting that it may be a different shirt, I thought the one on CC was maybe a newer version of it but using 30% Polyester instead of Nomex. But some websites I have seen they list them under the 2 numbers D190 & 1514, so I would have thought they were the same.

The link has them for about a tenner cheaper than CC, so may look at them. Have you ordered from them before?
Found them even cheaper here:
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Product...+SHIRT/ItemId/4050/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

Are they alright around a camp fire with sparks and that, also what would you say about the sizing of them? From what I have read they are a bit generous.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I was once unfortunate enough to live within rifle shot distance of Silverman's, but I think I got it from an outfit called Lansdale who don't seem to do them anymore. Not sure on that - it was a while ago, looks like Silverman's only do them in military green.
As to the sizing, mine is an XL. I like a bit of room in my tops and am usually safe with XL - though some Scandinavian brands REALLY ARE 'XL'.
The shirt measures 25" laid flat pit-to-pit which is not excessively oversized. It does 'fit' differently from some zip-neck Merino's though. I have zip polos by Lundhags and also Devold for instance, which are quite close fitting thermals. The Arktis has a looser fit and this makes it quite flexible as I can wear it over a T-shirt as a 'shirt' or over a button down shirt as a jumper.
I've never had a spark or ember near it so thankfully can't answer that one. I doubt I'd go up a like a firework, and the Arktis is hardly Sunday best and can take a bit of abuse. However, if this is important maybe chase up a Nomex one?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have two, both bought around about the time that the article appeared, I may have talked to Stuart before the article was published, or may have wandered into the Country Covers stand at a game fair and had my first before the publish date. Can't remmeber. Either way, I liked the olive one I bought so much that I bought a black one the following year to wear around town and to work. I believe that the price has gone up, and when I bought them they were on "show special" so the price was very reasonable.

I never used them as a base layer, I always layered them over a t-shirt and didn't find them scratchy. They are not very durable, but they are light when compared to Ullfrotte and the high neck makes them very cozy for their thickness.

For really good merrino base layers though, talk to the chap at the Norwegian Store in Keswick. He doesn't do internet selling, but he does do mail order, and really knows his stuff. The quality is excellent and the prices are much more reasonable than Icebreaker. (or were a few years ago)

Thanks JimmyT, I already own a couple of Arktis jackets and so far they seem great and understand that they can take some abuse, which is why I was looking at this as an alternative to my current fleece pullover top.

I had a look at Lansdale and as you say they have stopped stocking the Arktis stuff by the looks of it.

Arktis and Country Covers are the same outfit.
I've one of those shirts and I never wear it, it's merino but it's the scratchiest merino I've ever had.
Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.

I thought they were, one being the commericial side and the other the manufacturer. At least that is what I read somewhere any ways.
Is it not down to the individual and how their skin can deal with wool? I have had no issues in the past whilst using wool.
What would you recommend as an alternative?

I never used them as a base layer, I always layered them over a t-shirt and didn't find them scratchy. They are not very durable, but they are light when compared to Ullfrotte and the high neck makes them very cozy for their thickness.

I was planning to use it as you suggest, as a layer over the top of a t-shirt. Basically I am looking for something similar to a fleece pull over top with the zip at the neck.

Just as a bump to this old thread, I did get one of the shirts in the end. I had ordered the medium but had to return and swap it due to it being too big.
The small is quite baggy and long in the arm but I have basically worn it non stop around the house and on a few outings and it is probably the best pull over top I have bought. Certainly alot better than my north face micro fleece.

May even consider buying a second at some point seeing as I live in this one, a second one is always good to have. :)

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have one great piece of kit only one problem mine is green which I believe has more wool percentage, explaining the moth attack, awaits SHMBO's darning 5 small holes, I can knit and sew but not darn very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE