Are these any Good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I've been thinking of getting a Tomahawk,And have spotted this on bay,Anybody know if there up to Bushcraft use or are they just a Decorative item.
Item number is 220334772513 TOMAHAWK AXE PEACE PIPE INDIAN NATIVE AMERICAN S5552

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
arrrrrrrrr are you supposed to use it or smoke it. i would imagine a Tomahawk axe would not be much good for bush craft survival that's probably why the indians chuck them at the us cavalry cos there no good

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The tomahawk used to be the most popular trade axe in the world. Yes they are quite good if you get a well made one. Even the smokable ones are functional as long as they are not used for anything heavy. The native americans loved them so who are we to judge.

Gransfors bruks make a couple, the English and French versions. The only smokeable one i would buy( that i've seen)would be this.

http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=1023

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
If you are looking for a good quality hawk, have a look here

They have, axes, hawks, pipe hawks, knives... I have bought an axe from them and I am very pleased with the quality. I wouldn't mind getting a hawk myself, Just need to earn a bit more cash first :D

You could also look at the Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk, see a review here. by OzaawaaMigiziNini who's a member here.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A certain member here has a Lee Reeves hawk.

I want that hawk so bad it makes my bones hurt :sad6:

I ahve spoken to Lee and he has quit making them...........:( :(

Thats still the one that I want....and I've been good......and I didn't get a chrimbo present...

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I have just ordered a Coldsteel Riflemans Hawk,I've seen some good reviews of this Model of Tomahawk,And it sounds like you get alot of chop for the money,
will let you know what it's like when it gets here.
Thanks for your advice

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a smokable Hawk - suposably modeled on those used by the guys on the Clark and Lewis exploration of the Missisippi and points West trip.
As these guys were reported to have broken open their pipe/hawks to get out the tar and nicotine to smoke when the tobacco ran out, how do the makers of my hawk know what to base the design on?
And I am sure that the originals used better wood and steel.
And I think the originals were better set up than mine.
But - for all that - it still chops pretty well....
For bushy use I prefer my GFB SFA....

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My personal opinion on this hawk?

A piece of decorator cr*p! It will look good hanging on the wall, or stuck through your belt/sash while strutting around to "impress" your friends. As a "working" tool, it will be barely functional.

First, the blade is fairly narrow/short.
Second, that pipe bowl interferes with using it as a hammer, and the weight does not properly offset the weight of the blade on the other side for good balance.
Third, that drilled handle/stem is weaker because it has that hole through it.
Fourth, if you use it much for chopping, that head will shift on the handle and the holes for smoking it will not properly line up.
Fifth, the overall weight of the head limits any use to light chopping.

Yes, they look nice and ... cool. But for utility use are poor.

The classic tomahawk head was made by wrapping a flat bar of iron around and welding it back onto itself. The "eye" for the handle was then drifted out to size on a mandrel that tapered slightly and had something of a teardrop shape. The blade was then flared out, trued up, and sharpened. Axes of those early days were made the same way, just with larger chunks of iron.

They had no heavy/flat hammer "pole" on the back of the eye. So the majority of the weight was on the blade side of the handle, and that makes it a whole lot harder to control and use for chopping. It's a classic design/shape that goes well on back into the middle ages, but the "American" pattern quickly changed that. The American pattern is basically the modern axe/hatchet shape/style - with little variations based more on the company that made it than as a "pattern". It put that heavy hammer pole on the back of the head - to balance out the weight of the blade. This made the whole axe/hawk far easier to use and learn to use well - without years of experience. It also offered you the option to use it as a hammer for whatever tasks you had - like pounding in tent stakes.

So now days, most people would be better off getting a classic "poled" axe or hawk. Those GP ones (or those made by Cegga) that I have seen are pretty much what I would recommend for shape/style. They have that "balanced" head for ease of use and learning, and that hammer pole for all those other non-chopping tasks.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. Take it as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. There is so much stuff "attributed" to the Lewis and Clarke Expedition that it would have taken them several boats to drag it all along. Almost nothing has remained of original items with good documentation to show the shape/style of the stuff they took along on the trip. And the written records usually just list the name of an item without any description of it. So the style/shape of the hawk or axe heads or trade knives they took along is something that must be ... interpreted ... from similar items in the areas where they were originally bought. As an example, the "official" hawk head of the anniversary trip made from 2003 to 2007 looks far more like a Medieval battle axe than what they probably would have taken along. "Money" politics made the final decision instead of good historical research. So no actual Pipe Hawk remains for anyone to use as a pattern to make modern copies of. The rest is just ... conjecture.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Well I have just ordered a Coldsteel Riflemans Hawk,I've seen some good reviews of this Model of Tomahawk,And it sounds like you get alot of chop for the money,
will let you know what it's like when it gets here.
Thanks for your advice

You will like the Coldsteel. I have had one for years. Use it
while hunting an camping.

Ps you can get a aftermarket handle made of Kevlar reinforced
fiberglass this works great an not as breakable as wood.
had one installed on my Hawk after the wooden one went south.:swordfigh :lurk:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Hi, I've been thinking of getting a Tomahawk,And have spotted this on bay,Anybody know if there up to Bushcraft use or are they just a Decorative item.
Item number is 220334772513 TOMAHAWK AXE PEACE PIPE INDIAN NATIVE AMERICAN S5552

Forest fella: You might try a Gerber back pacx axe (if this is not the correct name it is something similar). When I bought mine it was called a smax. They are fairly short handled hatchets with a small but very useful and very sharp head. They also come with a nicely made ballistic cloth belt pouch. My wife bought me mine for my birthday many years ago and I use it all of the time. The only complaint I have against it is that the handle, which is virtually indestructable, is very smooth and too slippery. It would do everything a Tomahawk would do and likely do it much better, BUT, it will be heavier. I also use a Kurkuri in place of a hatchet or tomahawk and it works very well. The biggest problem with the Kurkuri is that it looks soooooo intimidating! I would be reluctant to wear it around anyone, (for instance in a public campground).

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
If you are looking for a good quality hawk, have a look here

They have, axes, hawks, pipe hawks, knives... I have bought an axe from them and I am very pleased with the quality. I wouldn't mind getting a hawk myself, Just need to earn a bit more cash first :D

I initially read this thread out of curiosity, but that link at the top grabbed my attention and now I want a hawk from that site, need to start saving!

I want the Custom Axe - Hand-Forged Frontier Trail Axe #I-05, its beautiful.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They all seem sold though Jojo - did you commission or buy from stock? Any chance of knowing how the ransaction went etc.?

TIA

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
They all seem sold though Jojo - did you commission or buy from stock? Any chance of knowing how the ransaction went etc.?

TIA

Red

Hi Red

I bought it from stock. There is a couple of them still for sale, I think. I also think you need to keep an eye on the site as they add new one, as and when they make them, and it seems they are popular because they sell quickly. The transaction went very smoothly, paid by Paypal, I made a mistake when I ordered and paid the delivery cost for America rather than ask for the European rate, but they still sent it to me. It also came very quickly, about 10 days if I recall correctly, well packaged and in perfect condition. When I can save a bit of cash :rolleyes: I'd definitely like to get a hawk from them. As you can probably tell, I am very happy with the little axe and the service. And I am just a happy customer!!

I'll post a few pics tomorrow when the light is better, well hopefully! Nag me if I forget :rolleyes:

Just noticed you can put a special order if you want something specific, look for their special order page, the prices are about the same as their stock ones.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well my Rifleman's Hawk arrived today and it's a big thing,the Head is alot bigger than I thought,the Handle is also slightly Tapered,which means it will probably slip out of my hand and take my foot off.it had a Good Edge on it,But the Balance feels wrong to me,after using a Forest Axe,I'm going camping on the Weekend so I will give it a Fair tryout,before I make anymore judgements on it.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well my Rifleman's Hawk arrived today and it's a big thing,the Head is alot bigger than I thought,the Handle is also slightly Tapered,which means it will probably slip out of my hand and take my foot off.it had a Good Edge on it,But the Balance feels wrong to me,after using a Forest Axe,I'm going camping on the Weekend so I will give it a Fair tryout,before I make anymore judgements on it.

I have read somewhere of people wrapping strips of rawhide around the end on the handle to prevent your hand slipping of the end. I'll try to find it again.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I have solved the Grip Problem,And I have also made a Edge Cover/Sheath,It ain't exactly old style like I wanted it to look,but it does feel much better in the hand and should make it more of a user.
561002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE