Are hammocks comfortable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fossil

Jul 20, 2010
Bognor Regis
as the post say's ,are they ?
at home i have a memory foam matrass , as my back is sometimes a bit dodgy .
And in a hammock you lay in a curve , so i was wondering ....

Ade

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oh yeah baby!

You can lay flat in a hammock, on front, side or back. Most natural way to sleep and the best for a bad back.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Camping bliss :)

DSC02054.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
And you can sleep on steep banks too, which gives great views. Just remember to get out the right side in the morning.

16-17Jul201027-1.jpg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
sure they are comfortable but it over complicates things and to me that just isn't right.
if i was going to the jungle with insects crawling about i would take a hammock but in the uk? having to adapt it with underblankets so things don't get chilly is like chosing the wrong tool for the job imo.

pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
sure they are comfortable but it over complicates things and to me that just isn't right.
if i was going to the jungle with insects crawling about i would take a hammock but in the uk? having to adapt it with underblankets so things don't get chilly is like chosing the wrong tool for the job imo.

pete

Don't you use a sleeping mat anyway? Hammocks go up much quicker and easier than any tent. And they are no more difficult than erecting a ground tarp and clearing brush for your sleeping area. In my experience hammocks simplify things. I can put up a hammock and take it down quicker than anything short of a bedroll, and you can sleep in places that are impossible otherwise.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
When camping in a tent I wake up in the wee small hours with a sore back and just short of drowning in my own sweat. On my first night camping in a hammock I had pitched halfway across a small but fast river and slept the best sleep I have ever had.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

pete

I hear what you're saying Pete but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives. Being able to chuck up a hammock anywhere where there's two trees and get a consistently comfortable sleep time after time is a winner in my book. No looking for a nice dry level spot on the floor and hoping there's no hidden roots or rocks come bed time. They also have the extra convenience of being a chair too when you just want to take the weight of your feet for ten minutes.
Don't get me wrong I often take a bivvy bag too on canoe trips if I'm not sure of the tree situation, but if trees are available it's a no brainer for me.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I havent yet had chance to sleep in my hammock but take it on every Scout camp I am a Leader on lately (it seems to be the only chance I am getting for anything close to bushcraft) set it up a few times then ended up sleeping round the fire. From when I have layed in it numerous times it like heaven. Much better than my single layer one man lay down, wake up and sit up, drench yourself in condensation tent

I spent this years moot in a hammock, longest I have ever done and it was great. It was comfy, way comfier than sleeping in a tent (you dont have to worry about roots and such) and in a wierd way a bed. The only thing that takes getting used to is getting in it, which can be a challenge after a few drinks. :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Don't you use a sleeping mat anyway? Hammocks go up much quicker and easier than any tent. And they are no more difficult than erecting a ground tarp and clearing brush for your sleeping area. In my experience hammocks simplify things. I can put up a hammock and take it down quicker than anything short of a bedroll, and you can sleep in places that are impossible otherwise.

lately iv just been taking a bivi bag roled up with a sleeping bag already inside ontop of a really thick foam roll mat. i can't see how this can be slower.

there is nothing wrong with hammocks, they are just not my cup of tea.

pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
lately iv just been taking a bivi bag roled up with a sleeping bag already inside ontop of a really thick foam roll mat. i can't see how this can be slower.

there is nothing wrong with hammocks, they are just not my cup of tea.

pete

Nope, can't beat that. Bedrolls can't be beaten, you just chuck em on the ground ;)

Back to the OP.... If a bad back is the issue perhaps a Hennessey hammock would be the best option, as due to the shape you can sleep a little flatter in them across the axis. Having said that, in my Exped Asym, I still sometimes feel a little "curved" but perhaps that's just my hanging technique?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE